cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity, CallManager & Legacy Key phone system..Can they all just get along?

travis-dennis_2
Level 7
Level 7

Hello all,

I am doing a slow migration from the Key system to CM but need them to work together for several months in the following way: A call comes into a PRI on a 3640 and the 3640 shoots call over to CM who routes all calls to Unity so I can use the better auto-attendant of Unity instead of CM. If the extension entered (or DID which bypasses the auto-attendandt of course and goes straight to an associated extenion) does not match up to anything on CM then Unity sends the call back to CM (this is what TAC said). If the above is true then I need CM at that point to send the call back to the same router but on a second PRI port where it can go to the legacy phone system that is configured not to use an auto-attendant, just route the calls based on the digits that CM sent so that they go straight to an extension or DID and ring. Any thoughts on if this is possible?

4 Replies 4

bphelps
Level 2
Level 2

I don't think Call Manager has a way of handling calls that Unity sends back to it because there is no subscriber in the Unity database.

A chincy way of doing it is to create a secretary subscriber or call handler in Unity for the key system and route all calls destined for key phones to that real person.

"If the extension entered (or DID which bypasses the auto-attendandt of course and goes straight to an associated extenion) does not match up to anything on CM then Unity sends the call back to CM (this is what TAC said). "

Not really. Unity is going to do a look up on the called number (DID) or digits entered against the Unity database, not the CCM database. It's possible to have a voice mail box with an ID that doesn't exist on CCM. If it's a DID that doesn't match a Unity mailbox, the call will go to the Unity opening greeting. If it were digits that were entered that don't match a Unity box, you'll get a prompt that Unity didn't understand the selection and then the call will go to the main Unity greeting.

That behavior could be changed; Unity could send the call somewhere else under these conditions. It could transfer the call somewhere (like a CCM route point that would shoot calls back to the router, and yes, it would go to another PRI trunk), but I'm about 90% positive that you're going to lose the DID information on the original incoming call. So when the call is routed on the PBX, it'll probably only have information about the calling party on that second PRI trunk; and in that case, it'll most likely be the DN of the Unity port that did the transfer.

Thanks for the reply Steve. So could I set up certain DIDs from within the router to "hairpin"? Coming into one PRI port on the router hit a dial-peer (or whatever) and have that call go out another PRI port on the same router over to the legacy phone system and retain all the information needed to process the call?

I don't think hairpinning is allowed. I've seen some nasty bugs with some gateways (especially the 4224) where hairpinning calls causes some really weird problems. You should probably take this question to the General VOIP forum.

adam