cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity/Callmanager servicing a legacy PBX?

fordan
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to work out how best to move our office to VoIP using Cisco products. The existing PBX is a Norstar system.

What I'd like to do is to chuck the old VM system on the Norstar side, and have everything use Unity. It looks like I should be able to do that using a PBXLink box with SMDI. My question is: Can I bring the SMDI in to CallManager and the analog lines into a VoIP gateway device, and set up Unity to only service VoIP calls, or do I need to install cards in the Unity box and run the SMDI to it? CallManager looks like it should be able to handle SMDI, but the manuals I've heard have it using a legacy PBX, so the MWI and calls go the opposite way.....

1 Reply 1

rokibbe
Level 1
Level 1

One of the best docs on it is http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/788/AVVID/cm_smdi.html

You should be able to run SMDI on Call Manager with no problem. Remember, the S is for Simplified. It sounds like you'll have the Norstar PBX's SMDI port connected to that of Call Manager, and let Call Manager take care of communicating with Unity when needed over Skinny. TAC can help if you run into trouble.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: