Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Unity Clustering and Fail-over Solution

To have a fail-over solution on Unity, what type of hardware and software is needed?<br><br>1) Do i need to double everything up on the hardware? (e.g. two identical servers each with the same drive capacity, same # of voice cards, etc).<br>2) Do i also need to double everything up on the software as well? (Though only one is active at any given time?)<br>3) What about the license key? Do we need two of them?<br><br><br><br>

3 REPLIES
Anonymous
N/A

Re: Unity Clustering and Fail-over Solution

Just as a side note, the simple failover support wont be there till the patch version of 2.4.5 we’re working on is released to production. Build 66 of 2.4.5 did not have this fully operational. Just making sure folks understand that.

Yes, you do want to setup basically two identical systems. You could probably get away with fewer ports on the backup box assuming the primary box would not be down long and that no dialouts for MWIs or Notifications will be going on while the backup box is operating, but you probably don’t want to play that game… easy to get burned there.

Both boxes do require security keys and full versions of Unity on them. I’m unsure how they price this scenario down in bean-counter land, so I’ll leave that for someone else. From the setup side, however, they do need to be two fully functional Unity servers.

When the patch release goes to production I’ll post Scott’s fabulous white papers on how to setup the failover scenarios (complete with the directory replication configuration steps for Win2K or NT) out here on the forum. Be looking for that in the next week or two.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect
Active Voice
jlindborg@activevoice.com
http://members.home.net/jlindborg

Anonymous
N/A

Hi Jeff

Is that white paper on how to setup the failover scenarios out already. Is is now supported in 2.4.6?

Anonymous
N/A

The README.HTM file under the documentation directory on CD #1 of Unity 2.4.6 has a section on how to setup the simple failover functionality.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content