Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Unity Clustering

From Cisco web site, I found that two Unity servers can be networked each other to provide HA (primary and secondary) solution. However, this feature will be supported in Version 3.1. May I know when the Unity version 3.1 will alive? Also, would anyone like to tell me how this feature works because I cannot find any document to talk about this feauture from the web?<br><br>Thanks.<br><br>

3 REPLIES
Anonymous
N/A

Re: Unity Clustering

I believe the product folks are working on a snappy white paper that'll be available on CCO concerning failover support in 3.1. Here's the short story:

3.1 will support somewhat better than "simple" fail over that's been done in the past. The big improvement is that the backup box automatically takes over MWI and notification duties when the primary goes down... in the past you had to basically disable MWI/Notification dialouts on the backup box and when in failover mode they simply didn't function. This had to do with both boxes triggering on the same inbox state changes and sending out duplicate dialouts. There's a heartbeat mechanism in place now that allows the backup box to be smart about this.

All users must be homed off both Unity boxes on separate Exchange servers. Obviously if you have users home on the primary box and it gets hit by an asteroid, there's no way for the backup box to gain access to it's message store and you've sort of defeated the purpose of the failover mechanism.

In short you setup both boxes in the same way (i.e. they should have the same ports, same routing rules configuration etc...). "Point" the backup box at the primary during setup (this setups the heartbeat stuff), setup SQL replication between the primary and backup Unity boxes (which is why this requires the full sQL2000 and can't be done with the MSDE version which doesn't support this), replicate the greetings directory between the two servers and you're good to go.

when the primary goes off line, calls will be handled by the secondary. In Call Manager-land you just create one big hunt group that spans ports on both boxes, in PBX-land you "y" the analog lines out and set the backup box to answer on an additional ring or two than the primary. When the primary goes down the backup knows it and automatically winds up it's notification/MWI engine.

The SA links are different, of course, since the boxes are named differently. When in backup mode admins will need to know they have to attach to the backup box SA. Logging is also on separate boxes so reports aren't going to be seamless across a failover event. But other than that it should be a reasonably smooth transition.

I don't have a release date for 3.1 yet, but it's in beta now and is winding down towards release to production here soon. Once it's RTPd someone will post a note about it out here.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Anonymous
N/A

OK, I'm ready to setup a Failover cluster with Unity 3.1.2.

Where's the Whitepaper?

Anonymous
N/A

Actually, this is covered in the installation guide. Here's a link to all the Unity 3.1 documentation. Go to the install guide and in chapter 2 there's a section in there on setting up failover that should tell you what you need to know.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/c_unity/unity31

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Views
Helpful
Replies