cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Connected to Exchnage 2000 Cluster

dnmann
Level 1
Level 1

I Originally set up Unity 3.14 with Exchange 2000 off box and everyhting was working pretty well. When I came back to the customer today, I found out they had moved everyone's mailbox to a new Exchange server, and they plan to decomission the original one. Things seem OK for the most part but some people are complaining about messgaes not being delivered, and one user got a messgae that said his request could not be completed after he put in his password in an attempt to log in to his mailbox via the phone. Is there anything I need to fix or change due to the mailboxes being moved? Will things be OK when they take the original Exchange server off line?

Next, they informed me that they plan to add a second Exchnage server and cluster them. Do I need to reconfgiure Unity becasue of this? Is there anything I need to do or anything I need to be aware of?

12 Replies 12

afuller
Level 4
Level 4

Three things to address here. First, the cluster:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/c_unity/unity31/inst/inst31/inst_020.htm#xtocid28

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/c_unity/unity31/inst/inst31/inst_020.htm#xtocid29

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/c_unity/unity31/inst/inst31/inst_020.htm#xtocid60

Read these links carefully, especially the third link, under the "To configure the system so Cisco Unity can service mailboxes that reside on Exchange 2000 clusters" section.

Next, removing the old exchange server: you'll need to uninstall the "Unity Configuration" from Add/Remove programs, and then rerun [Drive]:\Commserver\ConfigurationSetup\setup.exe before you take down the old server. When you rerun the configuration setup, it'll ask you for the exchange server you want to link to. Supply the new exchange server.

Finally, your mailbox problem. Everyone's mailbox was moved? Can anyone access their mailbox? Are there any messages stacking up in the [Drive]:\Commserver\unityMTA folder? Are there any app event log errors when someone attempts to leave or retrieve a message?

adam

OK, I've got all that, but in this post:

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Ddisplay_location%26location%3D.ee8829a/0

Jeff says E2k to E2k moves are broken as far as this procedure goes. Will it work, or won't it?

Ah, yes, the registry keys! I forgot. Yes, it will work. Follow the directions on the link you posted and everything will be fine.

adam

I went through the procedure and now the Unity server won't start. The AvCsMgr service will not start. Some other app log errors say it can't log into the Exchange Private store. Now what?

can you post the actual full error events here? It could be that the account associated with the messaging facing services don't have send as/receive as rights on that mailstores on the Exchange server... or it could be related to the MAPI profile not being created properly or not connecting up with the Unity messaging system account (you can delete both the profile and the Unity messaging system account and restart Unity to see if it creates them both properly on startup in that case).

OK, here are the first couple from the app log:

SOURCE: MALEx_MC

Last Category An attempt to access Exchange Private Store has failed: 8004011d. The MAPI subsystem return the following error: The attempt to log on to the Microsoft Exchange Server computer has failed.

SOURCE: Doh_MC

Doh logon failed due to messaging component logon error: 8004052eH

SOURCE: AvCsServices_MC

AvCsMgr: Component MsgStoreMonitor initialize failed.

Manager service (AvCsMgr) failed to initialize the component manager.

And a Later one:

Timeout waiting for AvCsMgr to start [hr = 0x000003E5]. Skipping starting of post services.

And this one was in the System Log from the Service Control Manager:

The AvCsMgr service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 2 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 0 milliseconds: No action.

Try deleting the MAPI profile (it's in the registry, the link to the instructions a couple of posts ago details this) and the "Unity Messaging System (machine name)" account and restarting the server... the DOH will attempt to create the account and the profile and hook them up at startup.

Just so I am clear, is this the step to delete the MAPI profile?

· Delete the following registry setting:++ HKEY_USERS > .Default > Software > Microsoft > Windows NT > Current Version > Windows Messaging Subsystem > Profiles > Unity System Profile

And I should go into AD and delte the Unity computer name account?

yes and yes. the DOH will create both on the fly at startup.

OK, I thought I had figured it out. I had missed changing this key becasue the formating of the post was a little off:

HKLM > Software > Active Voice > MalEx > 1.0 > ServerName

So the Unity system profile kept gettign created with the old serve name. I fixed it, and it is fine, but the Unity System account did not get recreated in AD. So I still have the same errors in the app log and Unity still won't start.

Then you'll want to step through this doc:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/788/AVVID/mailstore-no-start.html

It discusses what to do if the profile can't be created. While this doc only deals with a issues, these are by far the most common. Step through the entire document to make sure you don't miss anything.

adam

OK, rerunning the configuration setup recreated the account and Unity is back up and running. Once again, you guys are right on the ball and have saved me. Thank You.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: