Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Unity Engineer Status.

A no brainer here, but I just wanna check before I get my study head on.<br><br>According to the below link you need to be an MCSE 2000 with Exchange 2000 plus the Unity exam to qualify as a Unity Field Engineer:<br><br>http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/765/partner_programs/specialization/iptelephonyrevised/rolerequirements.shtml<br><br>1stly, will Exchange 5.5 suffice until this cert expires? In the Unity Engineer course notes it just mentions MCSE status with current Exchange cert, which 5.5 still is. In the UK I'd dare to say that most enterprises are still running 5.5 with the minority running Ex2k at the mo. I expect this will change over the next year though. <br><br>2ndly I guess that by just saying "Exchange 2000" on the website you mean Installing, Configuring, and Administering Microsoft Exchange 2000 Server exam 70-224 as opposed to the Exchange Design exam 70-225 or are we expected to do both of these or to have all 3 Exchange exams?<br><br>Do you think SQL 2000 will become a pre-requisite to becoming a Unity engineer in the future aswell? <br><br>Just wondering. <br><br>Cheers.<br><br>

7 REPLIES
Anonymous
N/A

Re: Unity Engineer Status.

This is nice to know after my cisco sales rep told me that not only was 5.5 not valid and specifically not mentioned in the revised requirements( it says 2000) but i was also told that so i needed to pass both the EX2K admin + EX2K design exam. Now both of these exams were riduculously basic however what i was told completely contradicts what was just posted. no biggie i just thought i would point that out.

Network Engineer
Crimson Technologies Inc.

Anonymous
N/A

agreed that the whole certification thing is a tad on the foggy side... I've complained to the proper authorities.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Technical Lead/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Anonymous
N/A

I think that there is some confusion between the "Unity Engineer" certification and the Revised IP Telephony Specialization's "Field Engineer 2" role. Check it out...the IP Tel Field Engineer 2 role includes Unity Engineer + Win2K MCSE w/Exchange 2K...have fun :)

Anonymous
N/A

Again, from Jim (our training coordinator guy):

======================
Passing the Exchange 5.5 test is fine for now, especially in areas where it is still the predominant messaging platform.

Yes, the Installing, Configuring, and Administering Exchange test is the correct one. And, yes, we only require that one test.

No, I do not think that SQL 2000 will become a part of the cert. process (unless the engineers make it a more intrusive part of the product.) Exchange and Windows are part of the certification because they are so in-you-face about their presence in the product and environmental setup and configuration issues have a huge impact on how Unity is installed, configured and administered. Right now SQL 2000 is an integral part of the product, but seems to be well mannered enough to stay in the background, do it's job, and not cause a fuss.
=====================

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com

Thanks Jeff & Jim.

I'm checking with our partnership sales guy aswell. We don't want to get "caught out" as we are preparing for Gold status.

I trust that the url in my 1st post will be updated accordingly so as to avoid future confusion.

It's interesting that there were quite a few basic Exchange 5.5 questions in the Unity exam (I certainly didn't have any Ex2k ones) when Exchange 2000 (and/or it looks like 5.5) are pre-requisites to becoming a Unity Engineer.

Anonymous
N/A

The new exam has AD/Ex2K stuff on it... the old one that's being retired was based on 2.4.x which was Ex55/NT based at the time the test was written.

Yeah, I forwarded that URL to the appropriate authorities.

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com

Anonymous
N/A

The new exam has AD/Ex2K stuff on it... the old one that's being retired was based on 2.4.x which was Ex55/NT based at the time the test was written.

Yeah, I forwarded that URL to the appropriate authorities.

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content