Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Unity/Exchange and CallManager subnets

Hi,<br> I have several debates here about which subnet should the Unity belong to ? same Voice subnet along with CM, gateways and IP phones or same subnet with Data side includes Exchange server ? Please clarify this debate for us. Thank you very much.<br>Duc Vu<br><br>

9 REPLIES
Anonymous
N/A

Re: Unity/Exchange and CallManager subnets

I am not sure if we can clarify the debate. What is the debate? Unity needs to sit on the network where it has appropriate bandwidth to communicate to both the Exchange and VoIP infrastructure.

Steve Olivier
Software Engineer
Cisco Systems

Anonymous
N/A

Probably I should go into more details about our debate. We have a LAN network (100/1000Mbps bandwidth)and the data network is subnet 192.168.0.0/24 with Exchange server and PDC. The Voice subnet is 10.0.0.0/24 includes CallManager, gateways to PSTN and IP phones. We config the Unity server in subnet 10.0.0.0/24 and frequently are having problem with access denied when trying to open SA windows. So we thought Unity server should belong to subnet 192.168.0.0/24 in order to be in the same domain with PDC/Exchange servers to avoid the access problem. Is it a correct assumption ? is there any issue between Unity and CM when Unity is in Data subnet ? Thanks for help.
Duc Vu

You are probably running into the 5 session limit in Unity. If you do not use the "logout" button in the Unity web page, the session will remain active until it times out (20 minutes, i think). The easy fix to this problem is to use the Logout button instead of simply clicking the 'x' to close Internet Explorer.

-Dustin

Anonymous
N/A

Dustin's right. The timeout session is configured within IIS and that's probably what you are running into. If there was a SA access problem caused by connectivity, I think the symptoms would be different.

Steve Olivier
Software Engineer
Cisco Systems

Anonymous
N/A

Gentlemen,
I also would like to know if it's a practical way to put Unity in the Data network rather than Voice one ? Pro and con on this issue ? Thanks.
Duc Vu

You can run into QoS issues if you're hopping a router. Putting the Unity server on the same subnet as phones/gateways _can_ have an effect on quality of voice traffic. Of course, there are about 1,000 variables that can change this, but in general I would rather deal with a router's latency for data packets instead of voice. ;) (of course, I'm sure Cisco could sell you a "layer-3 switch" that would make it a moot point!)

Anonymous
N/A

at this moment I still cannot access into the SA web page yet. So how do I fix this access problem ? Thanks for help, gentlemen.
Duc Vu

Anonymous
N/A

You can free up those locked out sessions by stopping and restarting the IIS service on the Unity. If that doesn't do the trick, you'll need to provide the exact error message that's displayed when you try to access the SA.

I think it would make sense to put it on the Data network, as the email traffic will put more load on a router than the voice traffic will.

-Dustin

Views
Helpful
Replies