cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Exchange folders

kmbell
Level 1
Level 1

I installed a Unity server the other day and for a couple of reasons, formatted the hard drive and reinstalled everything. Now, I have two sets of everything under the "Unity" folders as seen from Exchange Administrator. Is it o.k. to delete the mailboxes with the previous date stamp?<br><br>Also, where are the "Unity" folders replicated? Is it just within a site or are they replicated across the entire org? What kind of information is stored in these folders and how big will they get? My Exchange admin has some concerns about these folders that Unity creates.<br><br>

4 Replies 4

Anil Verma
Level 5
Level 5

Ah ha, so you did not get the Exchange stuff cleared. I assume that you are in an environment where there are more than one Exchange servers and data has been replicated.

Is this a live system? I hope not as you are able to create new folders. My advise is to first clear the Exchange settings. Best thing to do is to run the Unity Uninstall utility. This is available from Jeff's web site http://www.answermonkey.net. This a utility that runs on Unity 2.4.6. I am making an assumption that you are working with Unity 2.4.6 release.

Once that is done. Check the Exchange environment. If there is still a Unity folder exisiting, clear it out. Wait for the replication to occur through the network. Then reinstall Unity.

The replication of the Unity folder is defined the same as any other Exchange folder. Within a site it will happen on its own. Between the sites, it will occur based on the Exchange settings.

To see the information in the Unity folders, just open one up. We keep call handlers etc in there. They do not normally get big as people do not create huge numbers of call handlers. The Voice mails are not stored under here. They are all stored in the mailbox for the subscriber.

Anil Verma
Cisco Systems
anilve@cisco.com

I started to run the Unity Uninstall utility before I reinstalled Unity but decided not to because it asked me to install the Active Directory Service. My NT administrator is very nervous about anything that runs Active Directory because of problems he has had between Active Directory and legacy NT domains. Can I not simply delete the original mailboxes that Unity created the first time it was installed? If I uninstall Unity without the utility, will the normal uninstall procedure remove the Exchange folders and attributes?

Not applicable

My guess is that you are running the incorrect version of Uninstaller. The 2.x version should not ask anything about AD.

Randy Pierce, MCSE, MCP+Internet, MCP
Cisco Systems, Inc.

Not applicable

If you want to be sure that Unity runs OK in the future, you really should be sure to uninstall with the Unity Uninstaller. The ADSI stuff shouldn't cause any problems, I would take a look at the Microsoft site to find out what exactly ADSI is to convince yourself and your boss.

After Unity is uninstalled, you can get rid of any Unity folder left in Exchange by going in through raw mode. Also be sure to get rid of any default mailboxes and NT accounts that are lingering.