cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Exchange server Name

mgrainey
Level 1
Level 1

I am replacing the Disk drives and OS on a 2.4.104. I will be Installing Win2000 and Unity 2.5 on the new drives and turning up the New Unity on this joined Exchange network. My question is: If I want the option to go back to the original system (in the case that something went drastically wrong) using the original Server Name, will I be able to remove the new server name from exchange or if I am successful with the new server, and decide I want to get rid of the Original Name... What would the procedure be?

1 Reply 1

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Couple things here...

first, there is no Unity 2.5... I assume you mean 3.1(5)?

Second, there's no way to do a "hot failback" onto an old Unity server should a migration go awry for some reason. All the users in the directory are associated with a phsical Unity server using the System ID of the local primary location object on that Unity server - these are unique for each server install - it's not done by server name.

Once you make the leap to 3.1 you've made the leap. Getting back to 2.4 basically involves manually reinstalling it again which is more work than just fixing the 3.x install.

That said, we haven't had too many "holy cow it's in flames and in the ditch" migrations from 2.x to 3.x that would mandate such a drastic "jump back" mechanism. If you follow the instructions for migrating you should be fine...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: