Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Unity extension of AD schema

Unity extends the AD schema correct? If so does it mark any attributes for inclusion in the global catalog? If so that would make for a heck of a lot of replication in a large enterprise. Anyone know the answer or know of any white papers?

5 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Unity extension of AD schema

Here's a white paper that should get you from A to B on this one... let me know if what you're looking for isn't covered:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/c_unity/whitpapr/datadir.htm

Yes, I have checked out that whitepaper, but it does not say if it marks attributes for inclusion in the global catalog or not. It just syas that the schema is extended. If it were just extended that would be minimal replication, but if an attibute is marked for GC then all GC's resync all partitions of Active Directory. So in an enviroment where the is over 100,000 users this could be a very large problem.

Gold

A significant portion of the schema extensions that Unity makes do mark ismemberofpartialattributeset to true. Please feel free to review the LDIF files. They are available on the Unity CD1 in the \Schema\LdifScripts directory.

Keith

b.rutkowski,

Yes, any schema change in the directory will cause the GCs to basically rebuild. Depending upon the number of DCs and especially GCs, it might take some time. We've worked with a few very large customers on this issue in order to minimize the impact, but the bottom is that an schema extension is a schema extension even though our schema is significantly smaller than the E2K schema. It doesn't matter.

There is a white paper forthcoming on the impact of Unity in Active Directory. It mainly talks about sizing and capacity planning. Another white paper will soon follow that one that focuses on troubleshooting problems with schema extensions in Active Directory.

As far as the attributes, I can take a look, or you can if you have the Unity LDF files, but there is a good number of them that get included in the GC replication. Look for the attributes and object that have "ismemberofpartialattributeset = TRUE." We also create a new object in AD called the Unity Location object. It replicates through the directory and enables Unity servers to become aware of other Unity servers.

We are quite aware of the issues that customers have to deal with regarding schema updates. For that reason, we try to keep schema changes limited between versions. In fact, we have an internal policy that only opens a brief window of time for schema change requests during major versions, which occur about once a year.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Exactly the info I was looking for!

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content