Views
Helpful
Replies

unity external calls

apasten
Level 1
Level 1

Hi:

I'm currently configuring an opening greeting call handler to receive external calls, but on the call viewer I've checked that all calls that the ccm send to the unity are defined as internals. On the admin guide it appears that internal calls are from untiy subscribers, but in this case all calls (including that came from the

pstn) appears as internals. There is a configuration missed?

I've a ccm 3.1.2c and Unity 3.0.2

TIA

Andres Pasten

Intership System Engineer, CCNP

Cisco Systems Chile

6 Replies 6

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

All calls coming in from CM will be considered "internal" - CM doesn't have a designation for external.

Unity uses the forwarding number/calling number to determine if a call is internal (i.e. if the forwarding number is the extension of a known subscriber we consider it internal for purposes of playing the internal greeting for call handlers and subscribers).

I'm ok with that. The problem is that Unity is considering all calls as internals. i.e. non-subscriber calls are considered internals as well as subscribers.

On the glossary appears as external call: "An unidentified caller who has not entered a Cisco Unity ID when calling from outside an organization"

I want that subscribers doesn't pass through the opening greeting, only non-subscribers.

I know that it can be done, because in our office is working on that way, but I don't have access to that servers to check the unity's configuration .

This isn't done by routing rules using internal and external designation.

By default the routing rules should already be setup to do this. The "attempt sign in" conversation that's in the list of direct call rule looks up the calling number and if it's a subscriber they are automatically signed into their mailbox, not routed to the opening greeting.

If you're subscribers are calling in directly and still getting the opening greeting then the routing rules have been changed or the calling number we're getting isn't matching up to a subscriber in our database.

Or are you trying to do something different?

I'm tryng to do this:

- External calls are directed to an opening greeting and then managed by call handlers

- Internal calls access direct their message box

The problem is that on Unity ALL calls are treated as Internal calls, even if the calling number is not a Unity's subscriber. In our office's installation works this way, external calls go the opening greeting and internals to the message boxs. I've no access to that servers, that's a pity...

TIA

again, Unity can do just exactly what you want here and it doesn't matter what the origin of the call is (internal vs. external) - that does not bear on this functionality at all.

If the calling number reported to Unity on a direct call matches a subscriber we will log them into their mailbox automatically. It does not matter if the call is reported as internal or external (Call manager ALWAYS reports ALL calls as internal) - this will still work.

So if this isn't working on your system we either aren't getting the correct calling number or someone has fiddled with the routing rules and fouled things up.

CHRIS HABBERJAM
Level 1
Level 1

I had similar issues, but wasn't able to assign a DID to the VoiceMail ports on CM. So I created a CTI point and assigned FWA to the unity ports, then built a routing rule for forwarded calls but which specified the called DN of the CTI point. This solved our problen and didn't effect the normal subscriber log in.

Hope this helps,

Chris

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: