Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Users might experience few discrepancies in Search results. We are working on this on our side. We apologize for the inconvenience it may have caused.

Unity Fail Over

Hello guys,

I need to design a Unity (VoiceMail only) Fail Over. As I understand when the first unity goes down the second one takes the charge. Does it happen automatically? If the first unity comes up, does it switch back to the primary automatically? What is UMR? Does the second one replicated to the primary and copies the VoiceMails that it received while the primary was down? If it replicates to the primary, do we need a larger bandwidth? Could you please put some lights on those points?

Thanks,

5 REPLIES
Silver

Re: Unity Fail Over

Check this link on the causes of failover and failback

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_feature_guide_chapter09186a00801b9253.html#wp1159389

UMR is Unity message repository. This allows unity to store messages in the local drive if it loses connection to the Partner exchange server. This allows unity to continue operation even when it is not able to talk to Exchange and once exchange is back up, it will move all messages to the appropriate mail boxes.

When running failover, you need to have your message store (either exchange or domino) in a separate server. You cannot install the message store on the same server as Unity. This eliminates the need to copy voicemails from one server to the other after the server comes back.

Regards,

Anup

Thanks you for the reply Anup. As I understand, the fallback does not happen automatically. So we need either do it manually or scheduling a time to fallback. Am I right?

Does the Unified Messaging Failover work in the same way?

Thanks,

I have 3.1 unity and am going to build a brand new 4.2 (Voice Only)server. Is there any way that I can Import/Export the entire database? If I don't make any mistake, Unity 3.1 is using SQL7 and 4.2 is using SQL2000, how this migration will work? I saw a tool at ciscounitytools.com called "Full Database Export/Import 4.0(3)+" Do you think I can use this tool to securly Import the DB from 3.1 to 4.2?

Thanks,

BT

most likely, you will have to upgrade the 3.1 to 4.2, then do a DiRT backup and DiRT restore to the new server. You can not go from one version to another with out upgrading first.

This might help you. If you go into the tools depot and double click the Fail Over Monitor there is a configure button on the bottom of this window. You can go into the fail over server and schedule the fail back to the primary based on time. Like I have mine set for 2:00am est if the failover server has become active it will try to fail back to the primary every day at 2:00am until it succeeds.

I would setup the scheduler as soon as you can.

Note: In the other post it is true UMR stores messages until the message store comes back online but be aware that it only stores new messages. If your message store is down user can not listen to saved messages.

Also you should only keep Unity and Exchange coresident if you do not plan to have a fail over server. Good rule of thumb is to try to have your message store off box. I always recommend going the UM route onto your corprate exchange so you have a solid repository.

PLEASE RATE THIS IF IT HELP YOU

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content