Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Unity Failover Design Question

I have a customer that has implemented CallManger and now would like to integrate Unity in the most redundant fashion they can. The end users are around 2500+. They currently have 144 voice mail ports available and would like to keep the same port capacity. I know that Unity only supports up to 72 voice mail ports.

They also want to take advantage of Unity failover. I thought of two ways of handling this and want to know the best way:

1. 5 Servers, 2 primary and 2 secondary servers 72 voice mail ports on each cluster with one large backend Exchange 2000 server for database information.

2. 6 Servers, 2 primary and 2 secondary servers 72 voice mail ports on each cluster, with two large Exchange 2000 servers in the backend for database information. This configuration would allow for basically two separate Unity clusters with ability to transfer voice messages, etc to each cluster.

3 REPLIES
Gold

Re: Unity Failover Design Question

Option 1 leaves a single server as a single point of failure for both Unity failover pairs. Unless you were planning to put and Exchange cluster there I would go with option 2. I would go with option 2 and make sure that they are both DC/GCs one server where to fail at some point.

Does Unity support having Excahnge Server clustered? I thought older versions did not support it (That may have changed in this version).

Gold

Yeah we support Exchange clustering. We always have since 3.0(1) as long is it's an Exchange 2000 cluster. With 4.0(3) and later we support Exchange 2003 clusters.

Microsoft supports the cluster nodes being domain controllers so you won't need an additional machine. When Unity 4.0(4) ships it will support failing from one DC/GC to another so if you go with the cluster model you will want to upgrade at some point in time to really be fully redundant.

If you do go with an Exchange cluster it is important to note that Cisco will not support the cluster itself even if it is only used for voicemail only. We don't sell the cluster hardware and don't sell a contract for supporting it but you are free to use it. We will only fully support it if it's a standalone Exchange server.

Keith

Views
Helpful
Replies