Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Failover licensing

Hello folks,

I am installing a Unity failover server. Do I need extra licensing? How the licensing works with Unity failover?

Thanks,

6 Replies 6

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

Yes you have to get failover licenses.

1. You need to get failover user licenses

2. You need to get failover ports

WHen you order unity, they will send you a PAK number and when you register that with the primary servers mac address, they send you a license file. You should install the primary server with this file. For the second server, use the default license (CiscoUnity40.LIC) that is bundled with Unity to complete the installation. In essence you install both servers in standalone mode first (if UM, you integrate them both to AD).

Once the installation is complete, you can run the FailoverConfig executable file in CommServer folder to setup failover between the two boxes. License should be synced between the two boxes now.

HTH

Sankar

PS: please remember to rate posts!

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

Thanks Sankar,

2 questions:

1) Where is the defaul license (CiscoUnity4.0LIC)?

2) I am going to install a 4.0(5) unity and then do a restore from the existing unity 4.0(5)server and upgrade the new 4.0 to the latest version. Do I need to do restore to the failover server too and then upgrad Or the primary will push the config into the failove one?

Thanks,

1. When you run CUICA, step 2 (or 3 - dont remember) will prompt for license setup. Click Browse in the License wizard and you should see the CiscoUnity40.lic file. I guess you can alternatively look for it in the Commserver (Hit F3 to search, key in *.lic)

2. I dont remember the exact steps, but for installs and upgrades I always refer to

http://cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_upgrade_guides_chapter09186a0080205abd.html#wp1328523

HTH

Sankar

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW

Sankar,

Could you please let me know what's the process to register the server with the PAK and Mac address? Do I need to call Cisco? Or is there any web based tool that I can use to do so?

Thanks,

Yes there is a web based tool. If you are having trouble with that link, then you can call Cisco TAC or email licensing@cisco.com.

Check this link.

http://www.cisco.com/go/license and login with your CCO id.

HTH

Sankar

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW

Thanks for your continous help Sankar,

Could you please answer the following question:

We have a Unity (UM)4.0 with an old server. I am building a brand new 4.2 (UM) from scratch. IF I don't make any mistake, Unity needs to be connected to the network in order to communicate with Active Directory. I need to use the same name and IP Address as the old one. The issue is that there's a Unity server in production and if I plug the new server with the same name and IP Address, there will definitelly be a conflict. Could you please let me know how can I work around the issue. Please note that the production Unity can not be unpluged until the new Unity is ready to be pluged.

Thanks,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: