Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unity gone silent

We are using version 2.4.6.165 of unity with TSP7.0 on a Windows 2000 domain member server.

We recently changed our domain admin password, and since our friendly Cisco supplier originally installed the unity system using our domain admin account it started to throw errors when we added a new subscriber.

To fix this, I went through all the services running under this account and changed the password, then rebooted.

However, this hasn't worked - dialling into voicemail now gives a deadly silence although the line isn't dropped.

Any ideas on where to go with this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cisco Employee

Re: Unity gone silent

OK, those error logs were a problem, but not the problem with the silence. Those two error logs go together and it had to do with Unity authenticating probably some on trying to get into Unity over the SA. There are some NetAPI calls made to validate subscribers and that error code "54B" means, "The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted." If that isn't repeatedly happening, I wouldn't be too concerned about it.

That's interesting that the Rx packet count was increasing. That almost makes it sounds like Unity is shooting blanks (that is, there's nothing in the RTP stream). The RTP stream is the responsibility of the WAV driver which gets installed with the TSP. I have no idea if this will make a difference, but have you tried re-installing the TSP? Other than that, the only thing I can think of is a network sniff to peek into those RTP packets if they are indeed being sent from Unity.

5 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

I don't think that the password change has anything to do with the silence when calling Unity.

Are there any event log errors on Unity? If you hit the "I" button on the phone twice when this happens, do you see receive packets increasing?

When I open a call to unity, rx packets goes up to around 300 at the ten second mark, tx to around 630.... Going up to rx 900 and tx 1500 by the thirty second mark.

If you'd asked me about event logs yesterday I'd have said there was nothing there of note, but today we have the following:

Event Type: Error

Event Source: AvCs_MC

Event Category: None

Event ID: 100

Date: 20/03/2003

Time: 4:12:13 PM

User: N/A

Computer: VOICEMAIL

Description:

Exception occurred and handled in File: h:\commsvr\Sources\Maestro\AvCsGateway\AvCsDohSecurity.cpp at Line: 459 - Error: 80004005H Call stack:

0x004105FD AvCsGateway.exe:

0xFEDCBA98 : :

0x89ABCDEF : :

0x77D5298F RPCRT4.DLL: RpcRevertToSelf + 858 bytes

Event Type: Error

Event Source: AvCsServices_MC

Event Category: Error

Event ID: 1102

Date: 20/03/2003

Time: 4:12:13 PM

User: N/A

Computer: VOICEMAIL

Description:

Gateway: The call to Directory::FindByDomainAndName failed with [0x0000054B] for the NT account: [VOICEMAIL\Administrator]

There's also an log error in the system log stating that the avmalsvr service has terminated unexpectedly, and another stating that the avcsmgr service has done the same...

Aaron

Cisco Employee

OK, those error logs were a problem, but not the problem with the silence. Those two error logs go together and it had to do with Unity authenticating probably some on trying to get into Unity over the SA. There are some NetAPI calls made to validate subscribers and that error code "54B" means, "The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted." If that isn't repeatedly happening, I wouldn't be too concerned about it.

That's interesting that the Rx packet count was increasing. That almost makes it sounds like Unity is shooting blanks (that is, there's nothing in the RTP stream). The RTP stream is the responsibility of the WAV driver which gets installed with the TSP. I have no idea if this will make a difference, but have you tried re-installing the TSP? Other than that, the only thing I can think of is a network sniff to peek into those RTP packets if they are indeed being sent from Unity.

Tried reinstalling the tsp - just deleted the provider from telephony and removed avskinny references from the registry... then reinstalled...

Works fine now.... Incidentally, is it possible that as we have three NICs in this server (two of which are unconnected) that the TSP bound itself to the wrong NIC, causing the silence and that this happened coincidentally with us rebooting to fix the admin password?

I had a very similar problem. Do you have errors on the exchange box in the event log that talk about services being monitored. We change our admin password to and rebooted. When the boxes came up there was a silence when dialing into unity.

There were no errors in the event logs that provided any good information. Our exchange and unity boxes were set up in there own AD domain. Turns out the ip settings were pointing to a differentt DNS server - not the opne used when setting up AD. Once i pointed the boxes back to the AD DNS all worked great.

So check your DNS settings under network configuration and make sure DNS is running correctly.

Peter

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content