cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Install Part 2 - Configuration Setup fails to start service on 3.1(5)

rafische
Level 1
Level 1

I'm installing 3.1(5) on a server with Exchange off-box. I've created an install account in the domain and have run through the install guide step by step to make sure this account has all the rights, permissions, etc. both on the local server and in the domain and exchange server. Part I of setup runs fine. Part 2 blows up at the end with the following:

========================================

Cisco Unity has NOT been properly installed.

The following error(s) have occured:

- Failed to start one or more service(s).

You will need to run this wizard again to complete the configuration of this server.

=========================================

Application Event log has these errors:

MALEx_MC - Last Category An Attempt to access Exchange Private Store has failed: 8004011d. The MAPI subsystem return the following error: The attempt to log on to the Microsoft Exchange Server computer has failed.

Doh_MC - Doh logon failed due to messaging component logon error: 8004052eH.

AvArbiter_MC - Unable to log onto the DOH.

AvCsServices_MC - AvCsMgr: Component Arbiter initialize failed.

AvCsServices_MC - Manager service (AvCsMgr) failed to initialize the component manager.

======================================================

Any ideas where I went wrong?

The only thing I did that's not in the Install Guide was to install Microsoft Outlook and VMO after installing the Exchange Admin tools on the Unity server (remember, Exchange is off-box so I didn't think this would be a problem).

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Christopher McAlpin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Installing Outlook on the Unity box "does" cause problems, please uninstall Outlook from the Unity box even though you do not have Exchange running on the box and reboot.

If you are still having problems, take a look at this tech note on CCO

http://www.cisco.com/warp/customer/788/AVVID/mailstore-no-start.html

In particuliar the last section on changing the service account. By the way the procedures for chaning the service account should include the new AvMsgStoreMonitor service that was added in version 3.1(5)

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Christopher McAlpin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Installing Outlook on the Unity box "does" cause problems, please uninstall Outlook from the Unity box even though you do not have Exchange running on the box and reboot.

If you are still having problems, take a look at this tech note on CCO

http://www.cisco.com/warp/customer/788/AVVID/mailstore-no-start.html

In particuliar the last section on changing the service account. By the way the procedures for chaning the service account should include the new AvMsgStoreMonitor service that was added in version 3.1(5)

Outlook must have been the culprit. I had imaged the server just prior to installing Unity (Part 1), as well as the Domain Controller/Exchange Server, so I restored those images. Then I uninstalled Outlook. Reran Unity Install Part 1 and Part 2 and it all loaded just fine, all services started, Unity is up!

Now, as a follow-on question. What will happen to Unity if I try to install Outlook and VMO on the server now? Is it just not recommended to ever have Outlook on the Unity server? My configuration will be used in a training environment and we're trying to cut down on equipment requirements....

Installing Outlook copies and registers a diffrent version of emsmdb32.dll on to your system that is not compatible with Exchange. We have seen it cause the Unity server to be unware that Exchange has come back on line after an outage as well as mapi notification issues.

Thanks for your quick replies - this forum is great!