cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Location Verfiy

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

Is there a way to determine if a Unity server is a seperate location VS same location. The reason I ask is I have 1 Exchange 5.5 site with 2 Unity Servers. I need to remove one of the servers and want to make sure I don't screw up anything in the Exchange database. During setup I'm postive I told it to create a new location, but in Exchange admin under the Unity folder I only see 1 UID and it was there before the installation of the second server. Also when going into SAweb I can see all the subscribers from the existing location. If it is in fact a new location I shouldn't see any correct, since the UID in Exchange doesn't match the server I'm opening SAweb from? Then if the server is configured as part of a existing location (failover), and I go and uninstall it will it remove all the existing Unity objects. <br><br>

10 Replies 10

Not applicable

If you look in Exchange under the site container and go to the Unity folder and then the locations folder under that and there's only one object in that collection then both Unity servers were installed into the same location... I've never seen setup do this on it's own, but I suppose anything's possible.

There's no real easy way to extract one of these Unity boxes cleanly using an automated tool (i.e. UninstallUnity off my web site or DOHPropKiller in the tools directory) since they will assume that there is only one Unity server in the site an act accordingly.

You'll have to remove the subscriber information manually off the users associated with the Unity server you want to remove. All call handlers and COS objects etc... have no server association (i.e. they "float" in the directory) so removing the server from the site after you do this should have no ill effects on the other Unity server.

How many subscribers are you talking about? If it's a lot I could be talked into posting my BulkDelete tool which allows you to remove large numbers of subscribers quickly... I never posted it to my site since the possible risk was just too high to make it generally available. If you're only talking about small numbers of subscribers I'd just remove them via the SA, shut the server down, verify the first Unity box is working OK and then remove it from the site (assuming that's what you want to do).

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Not applicable

That's what I see, only one location Default3ac79350. Nothing for the new site.

For your info this is Unity 2.4.6 just in case this rare thing.

Technically Speaking there shouldn't be any Subscribers associated with the Unity box I want to remove. I just set the box up and started poking around and noticed no new UID so it made me start to worry. So techanically there shouldn't be anything associated with it, But there is approx. 275 subscribers in our exsiting Org. and screwing them up is not a option. So are you saying I sould basically be able to just turn this server off and start over and have no ill effect on our existing unity since the COS Objects, Call Handelers Etc. Float. Could I just unplug the server from the network and then remove it from the Exchange Site, then remove exchange and Unity from it (Basically reformat)? Should I just turn of the new box wait and make sure the exsiting is working correctly, then remove the new server?

Thanks for the quick response.

Not applicable

I'd just shut the Unity down and make sure the first Unity is still flying right then take it off the network completely (making sure to properly remove it from the Exchange site). No reason there should be any problem with this, just can't be too safe.

No reported problems along these lines with 2.4.6 that I know of (I have multiple Unity boxes installed into the same site all the time). But you never know. If you can reproduce this defintely report it to TAC.

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com

Not applicable

Hopefull just another quick one here. Now that I've turned off the New Unity Server, my Opening Greeting and Operator greeting when dialed are saying busy. IE. dial 1000 (voice mail Port) repsonse "Sorry Opening Greetin is busy or not available" then Immediatley followed by "Sorry Operator is busy or not available". Also it looks like it renamed or modified the exsitng Distribution lists for Unaddressed Messages and Faxes. It looks like all it did was rename them, the members have remained the same. If I turn on the new server and wait for evething to synch with Exchange the greetings will start to work. So I'm a little puzzled on what would be causing this. It worked fine before addition of the new server.

Not applicable

Hmmmm... without looking at your system it's hard to guess, but if the recorded greeting were missing and Unity expected it to be there in a particular location that would cause that message to be played over the phone.

When you record a greeting an .STM file gets placed under the "RES\" folder on the local Unity server. If the STM file the greeting is set to point to is not there, it'll fall back on a system generated greeting which is done by pulling the voice name of the call handler (or if that's not recorded, the voice name of the message recipient for the handler and if THAT's not there, play the extension number in its place) and putting together that phrase you mention. There are other scenarios that would cause this (i.e. a call forwarding from an extension corresponding to the ID of a call handler) but that doesn’t seem real likely here.

If you can test it again (i.e. taking the new Unity server off line) and popping open the SA on the other Unity server and seeing if you can play the opening greeting from there or if the media master control for the greeting is “gray” and disabled (i.e. the media master cannot find the referenced STM file). If not, the reference has been changed to point to a different file that it’s expecting. This could happen if someone recorded the opening greeting again from the new box (not likely) or by the setup of the 2nd box overwriting it during install… which shouldn’t happen if it’s done by joining an existing location. In this scenario setup does not create any new objects in the directory, it uses existing ones. However you’re pretty sure you didn’t do that so perhaps something went haywire and setup updated those references to point locally and the greetings path references are on the other Unity box which then become invalid when that box is taken off line. Just a guess at this point (but a darn snappy theory). You can prove it quickly by doing that test.

If that’s the problem it could be as easy as copying the STM files from the 2nd Unity server over to the original one and you’re done. If I’m completely barking up the wrong tree then someone will likely need to get in your system and poke around in DOHPropTest to see what in the world is going on there.

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com

Not applicable

Well The Media Control is visible and I can create a greeting. I did notice that the Enable and Disbale control is grayed out. Should it be? I have STM files located under the Res/(Server name). Just not sure how to determine which file is being used by the CH. Is there a way to determine this? IF I need to get someone to run DOHPropTest How do I get this done? Just open a TAC Case? I'm really starting to wonder what the heck went wrong...Setup didn't like something....

DohPropTest is passowrd protected. You will need to contact TAC for the password.

Not applicable

Also another quick one. I just noticed that our exsiting server doesn't have the Network licensed feature on it. Would that be creating some of the problmes I'm seeing? That was one thing I didn't check before installing this server..

Not applicable

No, the networking flag on the security key doesn't have anything to do with this. All that does is expose the "networking" area on the SA which allows you to create location objects and also allows the conversation to do name/ID searches outside the local user boundary. It doesn't have any affect on setup or the database configuration.

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com

Not applicable

Just a follow posting to inform you of what TAC did. Some how my CH got corrupted during the installtion of the new server. Not sure what, but they ended up deleteing and running the Default setup script to recreate the CH. Everything seems to be working fine now. Hopefully the same thing won't happen again during resetup of this server. Both engineers agreed that for some reason setup messed up some where during the installtion process.

Thanks for your help on the problem...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: