cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Message notification

chris.damore
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a way in Unity to set up message notification that will dial a users cell phone and tell them they have a new voice message and will also allow them to key in there user ID and password and check these new messages?

Thanks,

Chris

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Make sure you have unchecked the option " Urgent only" option under voice mails in the message notification page. A very common mistake.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Brandon Buffin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Chris,

Yes there is. In Unity web admin, go to Subscribers and choose the subscriber for which you want to setup message notification. Click Message Notification. From this page you can setup several notification devices. Be sure to enter the number (including any access code required), the type of messages that should trigger notification, and the schedule for the device. Also, be sure the device is enabled. Users can also set this up using Cisco PCA.

Hope this helps. If so, please rate the post.

Brandon

To add to what Brandon just said, you alos need to make sure that Voicemail ports have access to local, long distance patterns to make an outbound call. If your LD patterns have FAC enabled, its probably a good idea to create an isolated partition, create a new LD pattern in that partition and set no FAC or CMC in that pattern.

HTH

Sankar

PS: please remember to rate posts!

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW

When I try to do this it Unity tells me "Phone number does not fit the dialing rules or your dialing permissions".

I can't seem to find where these dialing rules or permissions are.

When Unity tries to dial this number, I assume it is sending this information back to CCM?

Thanks,

Chris

Chris,

Go to Unity web admin -> Call Management -> Restriction Tables. You will need to add dial strings to the Default Outdial restriction table to allow message notification calls. Think about whether you want to allow only local calls for message notification or LD calls as well.

Brandon

I have just done this but it still isn't working. What tool can I use to see if Unity is trying to dial the number I have added?

Thank you so much for all of your help!!

Chris

Depending upon how you have setup your message notification settings in UTIM (if you follow 75, 25 rule, the last 25 percent ports should be used for message notification).

Use Port status monitor tool from Unity Tools Depot to see if Unity is dialing. This could be a CSS issue too. You should check your voice mail ports to see if they have access to outbound route patterns.

HTH

Sankar

PS: please rate all posts!

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW

Unity never tries to dial after I leave a message. I see the port used for MWI go active, but never see Unity trying to dial the number I configured for notification.

The VM ports that are configured in CCM should be able to dial this number.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Chris

Make sure you have unchecked the option " Urgent only" option under voice mails in the message notification page. A very common mistake.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW

Okay, I'm a moron..... The Urgent only box was checked.....

Thank you all for the great help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chris,

I was testing this option just now for a client and did the same mistake..it looks like that mistake is a very commonly made one. No big deal. Glad that it works now.

Sankar.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Chris,

Just to add a note the great info from Sankar and Brandon . Have a look at all the settings such as schedule, times, retries etc. Have a look;

Subscriber Message Notification Settings

Cisco Unity can notify a subscriber of new messages by calling a phone or pager, or by sending an e-mail. Message notification settings allow you to control how and when Cisco Unity notifies a subscriber of new messages. You can set up notification for subscribers by using the Cisco Unity Administrator, and subscribers can set it up themselves by using the Cisco Unity Assistant, if available. (Note that in version 3.1 and earlier, the Cisco Unity Assistant was known as the ActiveAssistant, or AA.) Subscribers can also enter the phone number and status of four of the notification devices home phone, work phone, spare phone, and pager by using the subscriber phone conversation.

To set up message notification, you select a notification device phone, pager, or text pager and enter a phone number or e-mail address, as appropriate. The settings for each device allow you to control when and how notifications are sent to the first and subsequent devices. Generally, you adjust message notification settings on the message notification page of a specific subscriber and not in the subscriber template. However, you may want to enter notification settings in the subscriber template if, for example, you want to set up "chaining" or "cascading" message notification for an entire department of new subscribers.

From this doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a008014f9de.html#1150594

Hope this helps!

Rob

Please remember to rate helpful posts.....

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: