Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Unity, MSDE and blank SA passwords

I recently upgraded my Unity server to 3.1(5). I am running MSDE 2000 as the data store and I applied the SP3 for MSDE. I had to run a command line "setup upgradesp /sqlrun blanksapwd=1" to get it to MSDE SP3 to install. After installation and MSDE starts, it logs an event message indicating that the sa password is blank and to change it.

My question is, does Unity use the SA account at all? Looking at current activity using SQL Enterprise Manager, I don't see the SA account using any of the databases associated with Unity (UnityDb and ReportDb), but there are a couple of instances of SA being logged in.

I don't remember having to specify a SA password when MSDE was originally installed, however I have slept a few times since then and may have forgotten doing that. :)

Thanks in advance,

3 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Unity, MSDE and blank SA passwords

No, Unity doesn't access SQL using the SA password - we use NT authentication. By default the databases we care about have read/write access only to members of the local administrators group on the box and the accounts associated with our services need to be in that group to function properly.

Thank you sir, as usual, you've been a great help.

For others looking on how to install SP3 for MSDE, the exact syntax is

setup /upgradesp sqlrun blanksapwd=1

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content