Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Unity--MSDE Sp3 Install Issue

Unity 3.1.5, Win2K SP3, Exchange2000 SP2, MSDE, all on box.

Customer was hit with slammer virus this weekend. Rebooted Unity to clear the udp storm on port 1434. We found that the patch was in MSDE Sp3, so we downloaded it and installed it. We followed the install procedure and there were no issues during the install.

When we rebooted Unity post-upgrade, an error appeared in the system log--Exchange Management Service hung on startup. Unity did not start either. A check of the services showed Exchange Management Service as "starting". We tried to manually start Unity (from the taskbar, and it did not start). Finally after 5 of so minutes of panic, Unity started, and 1 minute or so later we noticed the Exchange Management service started. Unity ran fine after this.

Then we rebooted again (looking for a clean startup), and the same thing happened---but this time we did not touch anything and Unity started on it own, again after 5-7 minutes, and the error message of a service failing to start.

Does anyone know what could cause this-- the install went cleanly and Unity used to start much faster (with no errors)? It is troubling to have a system that worked fine that now seems to hang for a period at startup. After it starts, Unity seems to run fine. Any ideas? I have a TAC case open, but was wondering if anyone has ever seen this.

Thanks.

3 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Unity--MSDE Sp3 Install Issue

Are there any other errors in the event log? It seems like the Exchange message store is not starting (and Unity must wait for SQL and Exchange and IIS to come up before it'll run - if anything is hung up further up stream from us we have to wait). I doubt this has anything to do with Unity specifically so we need to figure out which component(s) are stuck ahead of us.

That is the weird part--there are no other errors in the event log, except the one I mentioned, that the Exchange Management Service hung. If I look in the services control panel while this is happening, all other Exchange and Sql services are started--except Exchange Management Service. All Unity services show started except AvCsMgr. The strange thing that I noticed is that it appears that Unity starts, on its own, about 10-20 seconds before the Exchange Management service starts (maybe this is due to some latency in the services control panel, I don't know). This is of course, after a considerable delay (5-7 min.).

So, everything eventually starts. It's the EVENTUALLY part that has me concerned. And I cannot really keep rebooting the customers main answering service for his campus trying to see if it comes up clean.

Perhaps a side note---I found the docs for this upgrade to be a bit confusing. I downloaded the SP from Microsoft and installed it per instructions I found on one page, but later, in doing some research, I found another page that seemed to say that the Message Store CD 2000 needed to be in the CD drive for the install to work. I didn't have the CD in the tray, but the install went through fine with no errors. The TAC thought that the CD was needed to install the SP from the CD, but since I downloaded it that there was no need for the CD. Like I said, the install went smooth and a check of MSDE shows the version to be SP3.

This is an update on this conversation looking for any ideas. I've been working with TAC, and the basic focus has been to verify that MSDE SP3 installed correctly. Everything I see seems to indicate that the SP completed correctly---registry keys, versions of files, osql queries, plus the fact that the install of the SP said that it completed correctly. But Exchange System Management service still appears to hang. Eventually (after 5 min. or so) Unity stars and the Exchange Management service starts. I'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas about what would cause this delay in startup.

Thanks.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content