cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity nninstall

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

I installed Unity/Win2K on my desktop for test purpose.<br>Uninstalled it using tool provided on answermonkey.<br>Demoted Win2K to member server.<br><br>Now I don't have user account that used to login. Most importanly I lost all desktop setting for that user & files that I had on desktop. I don't fine those files on my machine. What wrong did I do ? Can I get those files ?<br><br><br><br>

5 Replies 5

Not applicable

do you have the log generated by the Uninstall tool? The 3.x uninstall wont remove any standing AD account at all (this is why you get the big, bloated dialog that gives you a list of the accounts and DLs you need to remove yourself). The 2.x uninstal did go in and whack the Example Admin and Example Subscriber accounts on the fly... it's possible it got confused but I kinda doubt it. The log (found in the root of C:\) will list any account cleaned and/or removed from the system.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Technical Lead/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Not applicable

I downloded uninstall from 2.x Tools section.

Log does not say if it removed any account. Here is what log says:

UnityRemoval version = 1. 1. 205

System running Win2K
Computer name of local Unity server=test
Version Number in registry= 0
Build Number in registry= 0
(warning) invalid LDAP port pulled from Unity registry settings. Defaulting to 389
LDAP port=389
Attempting to bind to directory via ADSI
Using conneciton string=LDAP://test:389
Connection to Exchange OK
Uninstall loaded, waiting for command from user to continue.
Exiting Application at:4/3/2002 1:07:41 PM

Not applicable

You sure that's the log from when you uninstalled? I just tried that version on a 2.4.6 system in the lab and it kicks out a log that includes each subscriber cleaned/removed etc... one at a time in the log. That looks like you just fired up Uninstall and then exited without doing anything.

Either way, it wouldn't have removed any account other than EAdministrator and ESubscriber... I think you're banging on the wrong door here.

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com

Not applicable

There are logs from c:\UnityUninstall file. Isn't this a same file you are looking for ?

I might have clicked something wrong during uninstall
or ADS uninstall (which I did immediately after Unity uninstall)might have deleted my user account.

I am not blaming the tool, but is there a way I recover the files that wereon the deleted user's desktop.

Not applicable

that should be the log... that version, I just noticed, do not append it's logs (the 3.x version does). It's possible you fired it up again and it wrote over your log.

there's no way I know of to recover those files/settings if you didn't have a backup.

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: