Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Unity not showing all users after install

I had Unity installed on a test server for the past couple of months and this past weekend we moved Unity to the production environment. The problem is Unity is not showing all users, it acts like it is only seeing one exchange server? (we have 4) What should I start looking for as far as the problem goes? Also I used the export/import utility, and out of about 8 users on the old server that we exported the import only re-installed 3. Any help you can provide would be great.<br><br>UPDATE - We tried to manually add a users that should have been added via the import utility and it says "that user already exist" but when you show all users its not there. We were able to manually add a user that was not on the test box successfully.<br><br>

• Other Collaboration Voice and Video Subjects
5 REPLIES
Gold

Re: Unity not showing all users after install

If Unity does not show you some or all of the Exchange users in the site when you are trying to import using the SA or the Bulk Import utility, there are a couple of common problem you can check.

The most obvious thing is admins trying to import a user from another Exchange site. This can't be done since we cannot log into mailboxes across a site connector. The next most common thing is to be sure the “Allow Rich Text Editing” flag is turned on for these users. Microsoft has overloaded this value to also indicate that the user is a “MAPI mail user” or not and Unity requires this option to be there. By default it will be but some sites actually go in and remove the option for various reasons. You can check this by opening Exchange in “raw mode” (use the “-r” parameter on the Exchange administration application) and going to a user that is not showing up in the import list. Select the File | Raw Properties option. Select the “allow rich text” property and make sure it’s set to “1”. If it’s not, we wont show that user in the import list. Another common scenario is sites that have created recipients containers in Exchange that are “peers” to the default recipient container. They do this to organize their directory presentation seen by Outlook users and the like. It’s generally not a good idea but we’ve seen folks do this from time to time. By default Unity looks at the recipients container and all it’s subcontainers when looking for mail users to import. You can hack the registry to force us to look at the site level down instead. There is a small performance impact doing this since we’ll be searching larger numbers of objects for things but it’s not a big deal unless the site is very large. To change the registry, go to HKLM\Software\Active Voice\DALex\1.0\MailUsers and go to the “root” key. It will typically have a string that look like this “cn=recipients,ou=,o=”. You need to take off the leading “cn=recipients,” string and leave “ou=,o=”. When you restart Unity we will now be looking at the site container down and will pick up users in those “peer” containers.

Also check out:
http://www.cisco.com/warp/customer/788/AVVID/import_user_exchange.html

Keith

Keith Chambers
Unity Technical Lead
Unified Voice Team, San Jose
Cisco Systems
kechambe@cisco.com

Anonymous
N/A

My guess is that the 3 Unity subscribers that are showing up are the default ones created by Unity setup. Eadministrator, Esubscriber....

The other ones are probaby still showing up as Unity subscribers. Thus they will not show up in the import utility or in import in the SA. You would not be able to create a new subscriber with the same name and alias becausue Unity thinks that the mailuser is already a subscriber. The mailuser does not have a call handle though.

You might be able to clean this up by using Jeff's directory walker and checking the 'Remove subscriber properties on mail users...' check box. However it might not see the mailboxes as having Unity properties either.

You then would need to call in a case to the TAC for so clean up in the doh.

Randy Pierce, MCSE, MCP+Internet, MCP
Cisco Systems, Inc.

Anonymous
N/A

Engineer let me know that on the accounts that are not showing up - Rich Text needs to be added to those accounts and the problem is solved. This needs to be a published document about this hidden "feature" I did a total re-format of my system and re-load and the accounts that were not showing up before, still did not show up until Rich text was enabled.

Anonymous
N/A

There's a tech tip on this (although I don't think it's externally available, I'm not sure) and I believe it's mentioned somewhere in the release notes (and it's certainly been talked about out here a lot) but yeah, this should be talked about in the installation guide up front and it's not.

Just to be clear, this isn't a Unity specific "trick". This is a Microsoft blunder that bites any MAPI aware application (Fax servers get burned by this from time to time for instance). Microsoft opted to use the Rich Text flag for two things... the obvious thing it's name would imply, allowing clients to use or not use rich text formatting information in their messages. This involves tucking up the non text information into a digital "belly tank" so it'll survive the trip through the SMTP transport world and then unpacking it on the receiving end. But they also opted to use for a less intuative reason which is making the user a "MAPI Aware client". As such, if this flag is cleared, no application can get at that user's message store using the MAPI interface.

Why they opted to do this is a complete mysterty to me... it doesn't seem like it would have been that big a burdon to add a specific flag for this but hey... what do I know?

I'll ping the pubs folks about getting the information from that tech tip into the "main line" documentation up front. It covers the RTF flag as well as container filters and some other things that occasionally burn folks trying to make standing Exchange users Subscribers.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Anonymous
N/A

check out the log created by the import... it'll indicate if there was a problem importing one of those other users (i.e. if there was a conflict, the alias wasn't found at the scope level configured, there was an NT account but no Exchange acccount etc...). The most likely scenario is you have an NT account for the alias but no Exchange account... user creation fails in that scenario as explain in the help file. An error is logged for this situation that should explain that.

Both the SA and the CSV import tools will do the same thing (i.e. the SA will give you the error you indicate when the alias matches an NT alias but no Exchange alias exists). Long story for why this is but automatically creating new Exchange/NT accounts is tricky business and we have to put some restrictions on there. One of them is we can't create a new Exchange account and "bind" it to a standing NT account, so we bail out with an error.

I'm not sure what you mean by it's only saying you have 3 Exchange servers in the site but you have 4... where are you looking to determine this?

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.