cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity PBX Phone Playback Delay

pjt8537
Level 1
Level 1

Running Unity 3.1.6 with an Avaya G3R 9.5 PBX integration. Selecting phone playback from viewmail. When phone rings and it is answered you must wait 10 seconds for the message playback to start. If you talk into the receiver, it starts playing back the message immediately. Any idea where the setting is to change the 10 seconds of silence?

Thanks,

3 Replies 3

eschulz
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This is due to the lack of positive answer supervision on the analog line. Unity does not want to start playing the prompt BEFORE you answer the phone so it waits until the Dialogic board can determine the call has been answered. The board does do VAD (voice activity detection) and this is why playback can start as soon as you talk into the receiver. If VAD fails (i.e. you don't talk) then the Dialogic board must rely on detecting a break in the ringback cadence. Ringback cycles are quite long and to be safe about avoiding false positives the board is configured to wait up to 10 seconds between rings (leading edge) before declaring a connected state.

Regards,

Eric

Thanks for the response Eric. Is there a way to decrease the 10 second wait time without adversely affecting other functionality?

Setting is in the switch file, MaxWaitBetweenRings. It can be access through the Edit Switch utility also. I believe a standard US ringback tone cycle is about 6 seconds so you'll definitely want to stay above that. We've had it set at 10 seconds for many years now and have not done any testing to predict what all might be impacted. I do know serial integrations and Unity failover are particularly sensitive to this parameter on incoming calls.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: