cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity prompts not understandable

s.hills
Level 1
Level 1

When Unity is giving prompts the voice sound metalic. This is Unity 3.1.4. As I understand message quality is ok.

6 Replies 6

oliviers
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

We'll need some more background info on this...

Do the prompts always sound that way? Is it intermittent? Do the prompts sound that way when calling from an IP phone? Only from the PSTN? Both? What codec is the Unity prompt set?

On the surface, this sounds very much like CSCdx36894. Check it out and see if the site matches this.

I have a customer that has been experiencing this as well.

In my case the config is:

CallManager 3.2(2c), spE

Unity 3.1(5)

6608 gateway(s) with load D004030145S1 - this is the recommended load in the above bug ID.

My customer experiences this both through the PSTN gateways and from IP Phones. The robotic/metallic voice is only on Unity prompts, not subscriber greetings. Only g711 codec is in use.

I have this same issue with almost the same config.

CM 3.1.3a

Unity 3.1.5

6608 blade using the firmware that was just released this month.

Distortion only seems to occur thru pstn calls but about 75% of the time. I have found no resolution for about 3 months since installation.

Any help would be appreciated!!

Have you found a resolution yet? I notice this was posted almost 4 months ago.

I have almost the same config as you although I run SpF. Got the right 6608 load, tried upgrading to TSP 7.0.1 which TAC recommended still the same thing. Happens both via PSTN gateway and IP phone and only on Unity prompts. We don't use transcoding on the 6608 and all G711. Single site - no WAN links - 100MB switched - low volume of voice mail usage and plenty of bandwidth.

I'm trying to figure out how are Unity prompts processed that is different from playback of subscriber greetings and messages. Ours actually degraded over time. First was only when calling from the "outside" to check voice mail & very rare. Then it started increasing such that almost every time I called from the outside a portion of the Unity prompt would be robotic. Finally, a few weeks ago I started hearing it internally from our IP phones.

I have opened a TAC case, but curious if anyone has discovered anything new.

Thanks!

JeffG1
Level 3
Level 3

I have the same issue with 3.13 with a 4006 AGM for the PSTN connection.. It seems to be mostly with PSTN calls and only the unity prompts.

Using g711ulaw...

There might be some configuration settings for minimum, maximum and

nominal playout delay on the CCM admin on the Gateway age, and there should be comparable settings within IOS for the same thing.

I'm not sure exactly what changes need to be made, but if the site has not been releived by the load that was specified in CSCdx36894, I'd recommend either contacting TAC, or trying IP telephony forum. There's probably better experience with the GW configuration there.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: