cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity's Popup page for Finding Subscribers Problems!

JeffG1
Level 3
Level 3

I am having an annoying issue with unity. I access my server by ip address remotly or by the dns name. This works fine, however when I goto find a unity sibscriber, when I click on the name from the list of users it brings up a new explorer window with the users information. However it uses the short dns name for my unity server which does not resolv for me. Is there a way to get unity to use the FQDN on popup messages or even the IP address?

3 Replies 3

kechambe
Level 7
Level 7

We have a defect open on this. CSCdw59188 is the defect ID. It's actually going to take significant modifications to Unity to get it working.

Here is the workaround:

On the PC that you are having the problem on add the DNS Suffix of the Unity Server to the list of suffixes that will be searched by the PC.

Windows 2000/XP example:

- Click Start -> Settings -> Network Connections -> Click the network adapter

currently in use

- Click Properties

- Select "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" and Click Properties

- Click Advanced

- Click the DNS Tab

- Select the radio button "Append these DNS Suffixes (in order)"

- Add the DNS Suffix of the PC first

- Add the DNS Suffix of Unity next

Hope that works for you.

Keith

I guess another way around this, I can add the unity name as a host to the host files.

More annoying is that after a find, Unity openes a new window for the user rather then using the origional web page..

This is probably an old chestnut but...

The fix for CSCdw59188 seems to work (running Unity 4.0(3)), when using one of the returned table entries in the the find & select subscriber popup - the javascript.LoadByIndex function now uses the FQDN instead of the short name.

However this only works if you have some name resolution for the client browser. In a standalone VM environment this usualy means having to get a vmbox.unity.com entry in the customers DNS.

Most people would prefer the find & select subscriber popup to use the IP address rather than a FQDN ? especialy if they're browsing to the Unity box by http://192.168.1.1/web/sa in the first place. Using this method without DNS entry results in bad screen when find & select subscriber popup tries to use http://vmbox.unity.com/web/sa/~ to display selected subscriber.

Is there any way of forcing find & select subscriber popup to use IP address rather than FQDN (especialy seeing as the Unity box can obvioulsy resolve the FQDN anyway)?

cheers,

Chris