cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity server File Associations

sgamer
Level 1
Level 1

On my first real installation of Unity, I noticed that when the "Open With" dialog window comes up while trying to open a file with an unknown extension such as HOSTS, there are only three programs to choose from; AcroRd32, iexplore and mplayer2. I find it odd that Notepad, Wordpad, etc. are not also listed like every other Windows installation I've ever done. Has anybody else had this happen? If so, is it a symptom of a larger problem with my installation or should I just ignore it? Everything else seems to work fine so far but I am not yet done. Thanks.<br><br>

2 Replies 2

Not applicable

yeah, you'd think that Microsoft would have notepad as an option on all file types by default, but hey. No, this doesn't indicate a problem... you should be able to change the association of any extension or click the "other" button there and select a different application (at least in Win2K, NT wasn't as friendly). Or you can go "old school" and go hack the registry the long way to change which app is assocaited with which application (though I'll spare you the "when I was your age we did everything at the command line" speach).

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Thanks for the quick response. I did try to get notepad to show up as one of the options by clicking "other" and "Always use this program to open these files" but it didn't work. I guess it shouldn't work since the "Hosts" file has no extention. It's kind of looking like the registry is somewhat messed up since notepad should be an option no matter what file I am trying to open. I'm not going to worry about it since everything else is working so far.

You wouldn't have a "cheat sheet" for designing and configuring Unity would you? My class materials are not very well suited to an engineers role in setting up a voicemail system.

By the way, the old days to me were DOS 2.x and Netware 286. NT was just an apple in Bill's eye. Back when the guys with pocket protectors debated the merits of the 8086 versus the 8088 CPU's. On the other hand, I've never punched a card so I'm not that old yet...