cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Server randomly reboots after expansion chassis installation

dns
Level 1
Level 1

We are running Unity 2.4.6.135 integrating to a Nortel Meridian Option 11c switch through Calista boxes. We were out of PCI ports and wanted to expand from 32 ports to 40. We purchased a Magma PCI expansion chassis and an additional 12 port card. We moved all cards from the Unity server into the expansion box, linked them together and all was working well. Unity sees all 40 ports and I can manage them from the Unity server.

About 2 weeks later, on a Monday morning (the busiest morning), the server reboots. The only messages in the event log that are of any consequence are as follows:

The Compaq System Management Driver has detected that the system encountered a Non-Maskable Interrupt (NMI) prior to this boot. The NMI source was PCI bus error, slot 6.

The previous system shutdown at 10:48:20 AM on 1/27/2003 was unexpected.

The reboots have moved up from once per 2 weeks to twice in one day last week. These are the only messages every time. We've checked all the usual areas, event logs, memory dumps (none), device manager, etc. No clues.

We would prefer not to go back to 32 ports inside one box, but we're beginning to feel that is the only way to keep Unity up and running reliably. Any thoughts, suggestions? Thanks.

4 Replies 4

kechambe
Level 7
Level 7

Which model is the Compaq?

Thanks,

Keith

Proliant ML 370, single 1.0 Ghz processor, 1 GB RAM. We had installed a remote installation board in the server, which put us 1 PCI port short for the last dialogic board to bring us up to 40 ports.

We had another crash this morning, Monday, 2/10 at 10:12 am.

I will run this by our hardware guy today and see what he says...

I think he will want to know the bois version of the ML 370 as well.

Thanks,

Keith

We did do a bios upgrade when we installed the chassis, needed to in order for it to see the cards.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: