cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Services not starting

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,<br>Today I've experiences a problem I can't explain (while having problems with MS Outlook on the Unity server). This same problem occured also last week (when installing AVCiscoTSP3.02). <br><br>When restarting the system, the Unity services won't start. An error is generated in the System Event log: The AvCsMgr service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 0 milliseconds: No action. <br><br>Also 5 entries are generated in the Application event log:<br><br>MALEx_MC <br>Last Category An attempt to access Exchange Private Store has failed: 8004011d. The MAPI subsystem return the following error: The attempt to log on to the Microsoft Exchange Server computer has failed. <br><br>Doh_MC<br>Doh logon failed due to messaging component logon error: 8004052eH <br><br>AvArbiter_MC<br>Unable to log onto the Doh. <br><br>AvCsServices_MC<br>AvCsMgr: Component Arbiter initialize failed. <br><br>AvCsServices_MC<br>Manager service (AvCsMgr) failed to initialize the component manager. <br><br>In my opinion it looks like a certain service doesn't have the correct rights to connect to the exchange 2000 server (another server), but I can't seem to figure out what the exact problem is.<br><br>Unity server description:<br>Win2000Server, MSDE2000, Internet Explorer 5.5, Exchange administration software, Outlook 2000, PC anywhere, Unity 3.02 Demo version, AVCiscoTSP 3.02 and W2000SP2<br><br>The system has worked properly until the reconfiguration of Outlook and the reboot.<br>Could you give me any ideas which can help me solve this without reinstalling the system!<br><br>Thanks<br><br><br>Freek van den Heuvel<br>Triple P - Networking & Telecom Services<br>4131 PN Vianen - The Netherlands

4 Replies 4

kechambe
Level 7
Level 7

Outlook is not supported on the Unity server with 3.0. The issue is a MAPI conflict between the Exchange Messaging Tools and Outlook.

Remove Outlook and reinstall the Exchange Messaging Tool. That should fix you up.

Keith

Keith Chambers
Unity Technical Lead
Unified Voice Team, San Jose
Cisco Systems
kechambe@cisco.com

Not applicable

Thanks Keith....

I've just uninstalled Outlook 2000 and rebooted the server.
Unity is now running perfectly.
I didn't reinstall the Exchange Messaging Tool yet, do you think that's still neccesary?

The reason why I installed Outlook in the first place is that the Cisco Unity Installation guide says Cisco Tac may ask you to perform troubleshooting using Outlook (Chapter 2, page 42)!!!

Thanks for your help so far, I really appreciate it!

Freek van den Heuvel
Triple P - Networking & Telecom Services
4131 PN Vianen - The Netherlands

Not applicable

Yeah, that's in the guide from Unity 2.x versions and needs to be removed (I think it has for the 3.1 doc set, I'll check). With EX5.5 and Outlook 97 this was no problem but in Ex2K land with Outlook 2K, it's easy to hose things up due to the goofy MAPI.DLL mapping convention Microsoft chose to use... different apps point to different MAPI.DLLs and they keep a little table around to act as a "traffic cop" and get you to the right DLL. It's real easy to get that hosed up and have Unity end up trying to use the Outlook MAPI.DLL file to get at Exchange which doesn't cut it.

It is moderately strange that MS has come to terms with the fact that you can't install their flagship messaging client on their flagship messaging server, but hey... who am I to criticize?

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Not applicable

Hi Guys

When you mention Exchange Messaging tool - what are you exactly referring to?

Is this the tools on the Exchange product itself or a component on the Unity software?

Cheers

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: