Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Community Member

Unity setup for G.729 outdial and G.711 recording and playback

I have Unity 4.0(3.0) integrated with Cisco CallManager 3.3 in a Centralized location with remote sites over a Frame-Relay WAN. I have Unity setup to use G.711 for everything currently, but I am running into bandwidth issues over my WAN when callers call in to a Call Handler then get transferred to a user accross the WAN.

I like having messages recorded and played back using g.711 better because of the quality of the recordings. Is there a way to keep the recording and playback set to G.711 and dialout set to use G.729? I don't know much about Transcoders, but it seems that I would need to use one for this if it's even possible at all.

Any suggestions out there for what I should do?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Gold

Re: Unity setup for G.729 outdial and G.711 recording and playba

The codec that Unity uses to record messages in and the codec used to communicate with other IP end points is independent. So Unity can accept calls in g.729 and record them in g.711 without issue.

Thanks,

Keith

5 REPLIES
Gold

No that isn't possible. CallManager region codec agreements are bi-directional. So you can only set the following:

Region A -- g.711 -- Region B

Not:

Region A -> g.711 -> Region B

Region A <- g.729 <- Region B

Some folks like the sound of a hardware transcoder better than the Unity transcoding. If you want to use a hardware transcoder you can turn off support for g.729 calls in Unity all together which will force CallManager to invoke a transcoding resource to complete the call. I explain how to do that here:

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Dpass_through%26location%3Doutline%40%5E1%40%40.ee96d45/0#selected_message

Hope this helps...

Keith

Community Member

Thanks Keith. I think that answers my question for the most part. I do have one followup question. If I were to enable the Regions to use G.729, would Unity be able to transcode Messages into a G.711 file instead of a G.729.

The reason I ask is that I may be able to live with using G.729 to communicate with Unity and I would just make sure the network QoS is doing it's job. However, I prefer to have G.711 voice messages recorded so that non-viewmail users can use standard .wav players to listen to messages.

Also, in case my proposal isn't going to work, will this work: If I enable G.711 between the regions that my Gateway router is in and my Unity server is in (which is where most messages will be recorded), then enable G.729 between the regions that my Remote offices are in and the Unity server is in, will my remote users be able to play back the G.711 messages back to them on their phones? SO:

Gateway -> g.711 -> Unity (Record message in G.711)

Unity -> g.729 -> Remote office Users (Listen to G.711 messages over a G.729 stream)

Or, would it play the message over the phone in G.711, overriding the Region settings? (That would be OK too.

The main thing I'm getting to is that the voice calls that are routed from Unity to a subscriber from a Call Handler would be in G.729, but messaging functions will work as well.

All my questions come from not fully understanding how Unity deals with Recordings and codecs. I apologize for my ignorance, but I'm learning a lot just from thinking this through. Thanks for your help.

Gold

The codec that Unity uses to record messages in and the codec used to communicate with other IP end points is independent. So Unity can accept calls in g.729 and record them in g.711 without issue.

Thanks,

Keith

Community Member

Great. So, does that mean that it will playback g.711 encoded voicemails over the phone when the phone is connected over a G.729 encoded voice stream (i.e. listening to a voice message from a Cisco IP Phone)?

Gold

Correct. Unity read the g.711 encoded message from the users mailbox then transcode it to g.729 and spit it out on the wire in that format.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content