cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Shared Line

adignan
Level 8
Level 8

How does Unity handle shared lines? I have to phones that have a few shared lines. When there is a message only one of the phones MWI goes on. Can I control which phones MWI goes on?

3 Replies 3

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can control which MWI extension is lit for each subscriber - each subscriber can, in fact, have up to 10 seperate MWI extensions associated with them if you like. By default, of course, it's the same as their primary extension number but you can set it for whatever you want on the Messages page for that subscriber in the SA.

Here is the situation though. I have two phones. Each phone has the same lines. The one phone is the receptionist phone, the other is the presidents phone. Ring is disabled on the presidents phone and he has no voice mailbox. When someone leaves a message on any of the shared lines the presidents phones MWI goes on the receptionist phone does not. His phones MWI should never go on.

Unity doesn't have the ability to control MWI interaction with shared lines.

A shared line is when the same DN in the same partition is assigned to more than a single device. Within CallManager, line control is device independant. Since both of the phones have the same line, they both get the same MWI status.

Prior to CallManager 3.2, the WMI lamp lights for the primary line appearance only. So, in your case, I would assume that the exec phone has the line appearance that MWI is being lit for as the primary line and the admin has it as secondary line appearance.

Starting with CallManager 3.2 there is a 'Message Waiting Lamp Policy' on each line of a phone. This policy determines wither the WMI lamp will be lit for the line or not at the device level. Note that the LCD will still indicate a message is waiting. This is where you will need to make adjustments.

Keith

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: