cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity slow to boot

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

Unity 2.46 on a Compaq 7835 is slow to boot when conected to the network (about 40 mins) when the ethernet cable is disconnected from the network the Unity server boots in 10 minutes. This just started 2 weeks ago, until then it booted quite fast. What could be causing this?<br><br>

3 Replies 3

Not applicable

Is the Unity server a DC or a member server? Any errors in the system/application event logs during the system startup (not the Unity startup... I don't think this has anything at all to do with Unity).

If you check in the event log I'm guessing you'll see that the network interface doesn't come up and fly right which then causes Exchange to not start up which, in turn, prevents us from coming up (our services are dependant on the Exchange directory and Messaging services being up and running first).

I've seen problems similiar to this on Compaqs on NT 4.0 which caused problems since the Unity services (like all services) have a maximum timeout before they'll fail and log the "a dependant service has failed to start" error. With Win2K you can have the services retry up to 3 times but with NT 4.0 that's not the case... this is the reason I had to make the "delay unity startup" tool on my web page... we had a couple sites run into this and couldn't resovle the driver issue that was causing the long startups.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Not applicable

Thanks for your reply, it's a DC server and I was thinking that maybe the NIC driver needs to be updated. I was just curious if others were having the same problem on the Compaq 7835.

Not applicable

If you're getting event log errors about the NETLOGON service having trouble with Dynamic DNS, please see article Q198767 in the MSKB.