cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity start if exchange down?

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

In Unity 3.x if the exchange server fails while unity is up messages are stored and forwarded to exchange when the server comes back up. If the exchange server is down, and unity is down, unity will not start without the exchange server? Is there a way around this? It may take a while to recover Exchange from failure.<br><br>

6 Replies 6

Not applicable

Based on the 3.x question and answer above. Will the system start in UMR mode? Or does it require exchange to start and then if exchange fails it goes into UMR mode?

Not applicable

The UMR was designed to kick in if Unity was running and Exchange hit the dirt.

Unity wont start if the Exchange messaging services of the server you select in part 2 setup is down (doesn't matter if this is on or off box Exchange). There's no easy way to get Unity to start up in UMR mode since so many components attach to Exchange and expect it to be there at startup time (the MAL and the notifier for the most part are your problem components here).

There MIGHT be a way to manually force Unity to not try to initalize these and come up in UMR mode if your Exchange is going to be down for a while. I'll run a few tests...

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Technical Lead/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Not applicable

Jeff, the exchange server ran out of disk space. We are in the process of repairing exchange but it is taking a considerable period of time for this to complete. Trying to at least get Unity up into UMR mode so we aren't completely without while exchange repairs.

Not applicable

OK, talked with the messaging boys and just tried this out on my 3.1(2b) server with Exchange installed locally (I forced all Exchange services to "disabled" to try it) and it seems to work OK. You need to manually edit/add keys to the registry for this to fly.

First, go to:
HKLM>Software>Active Voice>AvWm>1.00

and add a new DWORD key called "All Servers Down" and set its value to 1.

Next, got to:
HKLM>Software>Active Voice>Doh>1.0

And edit the "LogonDefault" value to be 3 instead of the default of 7 (this forces Unity to not try to connect to the messaging service)

Finally, go to:
HKLM>Software>Active Voice>UMR>1.0

and add a new DWORD key called "EmulateExDown" and set it's value to 1.

Unity should come up in UMR mode then. Of course when you're Exchange server is healthy again, you need to undo these changes. Let me know if that works for you...

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Technical Lead/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

This worked great! On my test Unity system, I lost the hard drive for my off-box Exchange server so I tried this and it works fine.

Once the Exchange server is back on line, do the new registry keys have to be removed or just set to a value of 0?

You can set the first and third values to 0 but the second needs to be returned to "7".

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: