Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Community Member

Unity Subscriber changes Phone Number - Help with Voice Mail Change

I'll try to keep this short, CCM 3.2(2c) and Unity 3.1(5). Subscriber had phone extension 3853 with Unity VM, Subscriber changed extension to 3517. What is the proper way to change unity ? If I do nothing to unity, voice mail will work but will not light the light. If I change the extension field on the profile page to correct extension voice wail will not work the Opening greeting will play. Only way I can get it to work right is to add the old extension in the Alternate Extensions field.

I'm sure there is a proper way to do this to sync things back with the new extension but I cant seem to find it.

Thanks !

6 REPLIES
Gold

Re: Unity Subscriber changes Phone Number - Help with Voice Mail

I’m pretty confused on this one. Are you trying to have both the new and old extension work? If you changed the phone but didn't update Unity, I would expect nothing to work but you say that it does? Can you explain this differently? Maybe a use case?

Thanks!

Keith

Community Member

Hey Keith.. I know it is confusing, No the user is changing phone numbers from old number (example 3853) to new number (example 3517). I did change the phone but for what ever reason unity did work but would not light MWI. I did another one today old number (5042) to new number (5020) but this time I user bulk user logout and logged her out of unity before I made the phone chande then I changed the extension on the unity profile page and saved it and it worked.

Cisco Employee

the only thing I can think of is the default MWI device didn't update it's value when you change the subscriber's primary extension number - forcing the mailbox to log out and log back in may have refreshed the ID. Doing a quick check here I couldn't repro the problem but that's the only idea I have.

by default the MWI device (there can be up to 10 per user) is set to "x" which should be replaced by the primary extension of the subscriber (there can also be up to 10 alternate extensions). that replacement functionality may not be working properly and it may keep the old extension number in there for whatever reason.

I'd curious if you tried to force the MWI id to something specific and then back to X if that would also work. If so then the problem is narrowed down a bit. If not, I'm not sure why this would be working like this. It should not at all be necessary to log out of the mailbox or do anything of the kind when changing extension values for subscribers but since it's not something that happens a whole heck of a lot, it's entirely possible there's gremlins in there.

Community Member

Ok I changed the MWI id to 3517 saved it then went and deleted the Alternate Extension of 3855 and saved it. Dialed 3817 and got the Call Handler "Opening Greeting". Went back and changed MWI id to "X" saved it and called 3817 got the same thing, went and added Alternate Extension with 3855 saved it. Called 3517 and got Subscribers Greeting.

Cisco Employee

If you're getting the opening greeing that doesn't have anything at all to do with the MWI issue... perhaps I misunderstood your description or you're dealing with seperate problems.

If Unity is sending you to the opening greeting, Call Manager is very likely sending us the extension number you aren't expecting. The first thing to do is to use the Call Viewer application and see what extension is coming in as the calling number to Unity. The fact that you have to put an alternate extension in there for the login to work tells me THATs the number we're getting and the problem is actually further up stream from us.

Community Member

Yes you are correct in Call Viewer if I look at the forwarding number it is the Alt Extension number (3850) and not the called number (3580). On the call manager (3.2.2c) Searched for extension 3850 on Call Manager and nothing comes back.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content