Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Unity Subscriber Creation VB6.0 Tool

I have downloaded the "Creating Subscribers From Scratch Code" VB6.0 tool from site .http://www.answermonkey.net/CodeSamples.htm.

I am running Unity4.0(1).

I would like to automate the tool where it reads necessary data like First name,last name and extension from oracle database and go on creating accounts with out manual inervention.

Where i want to sechdule this job at intervals of time.

My question is there is an time lag of atleast 15-30 secs involved in creating a user.Is to possible to automate and if so shall we have to use timer to go for next call of creating user.

1 REPLY
Cisco Employee

Re: Unity Subscriber Creation VB6.0 Tool

That lag time is how long it actually takes to create an account and a mailbox in the directory and get that DirectoryId value for those objects back. There's no way to make that time go away but you can "batch" the syncronization process if you like.

The comments in the code discuss this a bit - you can basically add all the users you want to the SQL table and then kick of a "batch" SQL syncronization process that will go and create all those ursers in the background.

The up side to that is you can slam all your users in and start the synch very quickly. The down side is that finding out if there were problems creating users in the directory becomes much more difficult in batch - the example I posted there shows how to create a "ticket" GUID that you can check the table for to see if it worked or not - pretty easy when creating one user at a time. If you slam in 100 users then you have to do the work to sort through all those tickets after the synch is complete (which takes an indeterminate amount of time depending on your environment).

To do the batch thing just don't pass in the @DirectorySynch flag on the sp_CreateSubscriber - it wont try to synch the user as you add them. When you're all done stuffing the subscriber info into SQL use the sp_SQLDirectorySync stored procedure and pass the flags to syncronize all new subscribers (I cover the flags in the comments of the code).

I highly reccomend passing in Synch Tickets and checking to see if the directory synch worked and then sorting through it when the synch is done. Doing the "create and pray it worked" method is a very bad idea and will cause you trouble down the like...

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content