Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Unity Transcoding Source

Where does transcoding take place when a Unity server is forced to transcode between the voice stream into the voice port, and the Unity Prompts being used. Is the transcoding source the same for the playback of recorded voice messages and the voice stream into the Unity box ? I am primarliy interested in users connecting to the Unity server via 729, which are played 711 prompts. Likewise, users calling in on 729 to hear messages recorded with 711.

3 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Unity Transcoding Source

If the call hits a Unity port and Unity has to transcode to meed it's media requirements (i.e. it connects accepting only G729a and the prompts, greeting, voice message being played is in 711) then the transcoding takes place in a software driver on the Unity box (i.e. the CPU does the work).

There are, of course, ways to do the transcoding up stream from Unity before the call hits us using DSP resources... but if the transcoding is being done by Unity it's being done via software.

Is there a URL available on CCO that details the configuration of off loading the trasncoding function from the Unity platform to a DSP Farm. I have search CCO and it does not contain this information.

Also, are there any figures that describe the load/capacity a DSP Farm will incur my picking up this function ?

Gold

Unity doesn't have any involvment with hardware transcoding. It's controlled by CallManager and more specifically, the CallManager region the Unity ports are in.

This URL provides some information on DSP Farm configuration with CallManager:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat4000/inst_nts/acc_gtwy/scenario.htm#xtocid10

Capacity it dependant on the type of DSP Fram you are using.

Keith

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content