cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Transfer to PSTN-Forwarded IP Phone

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

Unity 3.1 Build 3.1(2)<br><br>Unity transfers (release to switch) to extension 213. 213 is forwarded to 917325551212 - calls end up going to extension 173. Help!<br><br>Brian Carscadden<br>SE Manager/Sr. System Engineer<br>CCNA, CCDA, CIPT, MCP<br>TransNet Corporation<br>908 253-0500

4 Replies 4

Not applicable

Do you get the same behavior with Unity out of the picture?
If you try to transfer a call from an IP phone to 213, does it work?

This sounds like the phone system isn't permitting the off-premesis transfer, or isn't using 9 for trunk access.

Scott Morgan
Cisco Systems TAC

Not applicable

If I dial the phone directly (DID) it works fine. So yes, with Unity out of the picture it works fine. I also tried selecting Supervised Transfer from Unity and it appeared to work, though this is not the option I want. Release to switch is preferred.

Thanks!

Brian Carscadden
SE Manager/Sr. System Engineer
CCNA, CCDA, CIPT, MCP
TransNet Corporation
908 253-0500

Not applicable

Problem solved - sort of...

It appears to be a permission issue. In particular the default outdial restriction table in Unity did not permit 9.... (a known default). However, in the case of "release to switch" the determination of calling permissions should have been released to Call Manager - which is not restricted on the user's calling search space for Forward. This appears to limit the system's ability to restrict outdialing in Unity when an IP phone forwards calls to the PSTN. Perhaps this is a protocol timing issue - as I mentioned it does work okay when Unity does a supervised transfer (with default outdial restricting 9....).

Brian Carscadden
SE Manager/Sr. System Engineer
CCNA, CCDA, CIPT, MCP
TransNet Corporation
908 253-0500

eschulz
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This sounds like expected behavior then. You are trying to transfer an call on an incoming trunk to an outbound trunk. If you do a supervised transfer, the restrictions of the transferring party is used. If you do a blind transfer, the restrictions of the transferee (i.e. the incoming trunk) is used. It is not uncommon for a phone system to disallow trunk-to-trunk connections like this. If it is not explicitly denied in Call Manager, perhaps your PSTN-gateway is blocking it.

When you took Unity out of the picture, "If I dial the phone directly (DID) it works fine" did you perform the same release transfer? i.e. DID to a phone then release transfer to 213. If this works but Unity still does not it may be a timing issue. Unity can dial and release the transfer much quicker than any regular phone. If this is the case, perhaps adding a delay to the transfer string, "213,," will do the trick.