Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Unity UM in Lab Environment

I am building a lab to get up to speed on Unity UM. I have done plenty of VM installs but never UM. From reading the documentation it doesn't seem very difficult I have only a few questions:

1. It says you do not have to install AD on the Unity Server and actually reccomends not installing it if you do not need it. What advantages disadvantages to both.

2. It doesn't look like you have to configure anything on the Exchange side. Am I missing something?

3. What permissions do users need to have in order to be a Unity Subscriber. I ran into a problem at a UM customer once and what was happening was users that were configured through AD Users and Computers on the Server itself (they had exchange mailboxes set up) could not be added to Unity via the System Administration page. I had to go in and change the permissions in the Security tab of the AD Users and Computers for each user to mimic the security settings of a user added via Unity System Admin. Then I was able to import those existing users.

4. I will be installing UM into the same domain as the Exchange server. It looks like I do not need to run Domain Prep or Forest Prep becuase this is not the first Exchange server in the domain. Is this correct?

Regards

1 REPLY

Re: Unity UM in Lab Environment

When it comes to UM versus VM, there really isn't any difference in how Unity operates. It's all about the Ulysses S. Grants..

1. When you say you don't have to "install AD" I'm assuming you mean "make the Unity server a domain controller." You don't have to do that if you don't want to, but you do have to make it a member server at the least. That's regardless of whether you're using Exchange or Domino.

2. There really never was anything to configure on the Exchange side. The idea behind UM is that you just drop Unity on a server, point it at an Exchange server, and -bam!- everything works.

3. Users don't need any special permissions. I'm not sure what happened with those users before you initially tried to import them. What permissions did you see they had? Maybe Unity didn't have permissions to massage users in that particular OU?

4. Forestprep is only run once: when you install the first Exchange server in an Active Directory forest. Domainprep is only run once per domain: when you install the first Exchange server in an Active Directory domain. If you're installing a Unity box into a domain that already has an Exchange server, then you don't have to prep anything.

adam

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content