Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Unity Unified Messaging Licensing Questions

I am unsure about the licensing of the MS Exchange CALs that are required when running Unity in a Unified Messaging configuration. My question is for example if you have 1000 unified users, and 800 of them use the Outlook client, and the others either don't use Outlook, don't access via e-mail at all, or they use an IMAP, or POP access to exchange to get their mail, do you need 800 CAL's, or 1000?

If the answer is 1000, is this a Cisco Licensing issue, or is the something that MS is requiring?

Does it make any difference if the user access via Cisco PCA?

Thanks

Pete

3 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Unity Unified Messaging Licensing Questions

The outlook CALs are a microsoft thing - you're on the hook for 800 by your description. You're on the hook for 1000 UM licenses for Unity, however, if everyone will get their messages from the desktop (doesn't matter if it's outlook or whatever other client - thems the rules).

PCA is seperately licenses (i.e. you'd use that instead of full UM licenses for instance).

I have no issue with the 1000 Unity UM licenses as I think it would be hard for Cisco to license this any other way on an individual server, etc. So the Unity part of the licensing is very clear. The Microsoft side if the licensing is not as clear.

I thought awhile back that MS licensing policy was that if you were using the full exchange deal with outlook, etc. or anything that was MAPI, or something that was more feature rich and exposed the full power of exchange you had to have CAL's. This made fine sense to me. As well as just for POP, IMAP, and other access methods that are available as more simple access methods, etc. would not be required for CAL's.

So if you had an exchange server and were using it as an ISP and people were accessing only with IMAP and POP for basic e-mail you would have to purchase CAL's for each user?

Sorry for asking MS License quesitons, but MS is not being particualrly helpful or insightful on this subject so far.

Thanks

Pete

Cisco Employee

I can't speak with authority on the MS licensing issue with regards to using IMAPI/POP access requiring CALs or not... I can only tell you what our licensing agreement requires.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content