Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity Unified on 7750 platform

I am installing Unity on a blade in my 7750 and I am planning on doing unified messaging. I am at the step in the installation where I am to install Exchange, but it is saying that the exchange is to be on a seperate server.

I thought that with Unity 4.0, I could have Unity Unified all on a single blade and did not need a seperate server. Have I been mis-lead or is this just a mis-print and I can continue to install exchange on the same blade as the untiy software.

4 Replies 4

kechambe
Level 7
Level 7

This is correct. You can't have Exchange installed on the machine if you are running Unified Messaging. You need to have an existing Exchange 2000 server for the blade to connect to.

Hope this helps,

Keith

Keith,

So with the distribution CD's with Unity 4.0 for the 7750, do I have everything I need to install an Exchange server on another blade in the 7750 or do I need an external server?

I suppose you could install Exchange on another SPE, it does seem a strange way to use the ICS though with both slots being used for voice messaging. Usually you would have Callmanager in one slot, unity on the other and then an existing exchange server on the customers network. The price of an external compatible server is far cheaper than the spe for ics7750.

It's not supported for Exchange to run on the ICS in this type of configuration. Cisco isn't trying to be a server provider with the ICS and buying Unified Messaging doesn't take care of the Microsoft licensing required to run Exchange for email purposes. If I were in your shoes I would look to a standard hardware vendor such as Dell, HP or IBM to provide the server software and purchase Exchange 2000 and the appropriate CALs through the normal Microsoft channels.

Thanks,

Keith