Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Unity upgrade and fallback

I have a few questions about Unity upgrades and proper fallback procedures. In all the documentation I have read they indicate that to perform an upgrade you must uninstall the previous version of Unity to remove all hooks into the Exchange so the new version can properly import the old backup. If this is the case, how would you perform a recovery if necessary to roll-back the upgrade.

I have already read one method is to install the new unity server on a different hardware platform, then do the uninstall of the old Unity after having tested the functionality of the new installation. This is a pretty good test of the "upgrade" prior to removing the old data.

I have also read where someone suggesting doing a full restore of the Unity server (essentially remove the mirrored drive prior to upgrading). If this method is used and you uninstalll the old version from the remaining mirrored drive (which should remove the hooks from the exchange server?), I fail to understand how restoring the old unity server will have any impact on the fact that there the hooks to exchange have been removed.

In regards to the last method, I have actually done this with Unity 3.1.5 to 4.0 and did have to replace the mirrored drive because my media was bad for 4.0. I hadn't completed the 4.0 installation, and upon restarting with the old unity drive, it did fully function and integrate with exchange 2000. If anyone could elaborate on how that happened, or if it was only because I hadn't installed the 4.0 upgrade I would greatly appreciate it.

I am desparately trying to find the best practical method of performing these types of upgrades with the most reliable fallback methodology that is Cisco "supported".

Thanks in advance,

Duane Brennan

American Business Systems

1 REPLY
Gold

Re: Unity upgrade and fallback

The only supported methods are what you find on CCO:

Downgrade from 3.0 to 2.4(6):

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_installation_guide_chapter09186a0080080547.html

Downgrade from 3.1 to 2.4(6):

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_installation_guide_chapter09186a00800808d7.html

Downgrade from 4.0 to 3.1:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/788/AVVID/downgrade_40_to_315.html

The only time you need to uninstall Unity is if you are going from 2.X to 3.X or 4.X. Once you run the install there really is no reason to go back. Wither you are upgrading to 3.X or 4.X you need to run the full database import to complete the upgrade. If you wanted to go back to 2.X you would essentially be doing the same thing.

Pulling hard drives is not supported by Cisco.

Hope this helps...

Keith

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content