Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Unity Upgrade from 3.1 to 4.1 with separate DC and Exchange

We have a customer who is running Unity 3.1. Now they wants to upgrade to 4.1. They purchased all new servers and they want to perform the upgrade in a isolated network without bringing down the production servers.

They have a separate DC server, a separate exchange and Unity with a Failover. I am confident with the Unity piece but need your advice on the separate DC server and the exchange server.

Can we do the upgrade like this:

1. Installing and setup new DC server.

2. Installing and setup new Exchange server.

3.Install and setup Unity with Failover.

4.Copy PROD data from existing Unity server through DIRT.

5.Copy PROD exchange data through ?? VERITAS??

6. Upgrade Unity version from 3.1 to 4.0 and then 4.1

Please let me know your comments.

Thanks

Jay

1 REPLY

Re: Unity Upgrade from 3.1 to 4.1 with separate DC and Exchange

Hi Jay,

This should have gone to the Unified Messaging group :-) Nevermind, this is what we need to do :

Well, u have most of the things in place, but my question is why do u want to rebuild the AD (DC) and Exchange servers?

You just want to upgrade frm unity 3.1 to 4.1 - so, u can take a backup using DIRT on the 3.1 server.

Install Unity 3.1 on the new server and then integrate it with AD and Exchange and then restore from the DIRT backup (DIRT backup can be restored only on the same version of Unity).

After you have successfully restored the DIRT backup, upgrade the version of Unity and then u will have a brand new version of Unity.

If, you customer doesnt want to hamper production or giv u any downtime, then if u are planning to rebuild everything (AD, Exchange and Unity), then backup exchange and AD using VERITAS backup and then restore it on the new servers. Take a DIRT backup on the 3.1 unity server and install Unity 3.1 on the new server and then restore from backup and then upgrade the unity to 4.1.

Make sure during the restoration u have everything in the same way as your production - ip addresses, hostnames, domain names and so on. Everything should be identical.

Please let me know how things go.

(Hey, dont forget the rating ;-))

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content