Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity users

sundarr
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have setup with CCM 3.1 and Unity 3.x and IP phones present in the network . Unity 3.x is integrated with Active Directory and Exchange Server 2000 which is present in the domain . My requirement is it possible

1. To enable for some users alone [ who will be roaming ] to give the facility of Voicemail and also email options

2. For some users who will not roaming i need to specify that users only has to access his voicemail .

How exactly one can do this restrictions.

Thanx in advance,

regards

Sundara Rajan .R

4 Replies 4

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You could always just assign folks in category #2 to a class of service that does not have TTS or fax enabled and then all they could get over the phone is voice mail but from their desktop they could get at everything.

If you want a stricter division than that, the only other option is to create seperate Exchange mailboxes for voice mail and email - the Unity subscriber would be hooked to one and that mail account would be hidden in the directory so other Email users wouldn't accidentially use it and the other account would be the one they hook up to with their email account.

The present situation is such that we do have some users who are existing exchange users.Some of them are at office always while some others are roaming users.

By default in Cisco unity, when a person leaves a voice message it goes to the exchange email addresss of the person as a voice mail.For those users who are at office, i do not want this to happen as i do not want to clog their mailboxs with voice messages which are bulky.So my problem is only with respect to these users who are at office.They should recieve the messages only through their phone.

From your response,

1)TTS is used for reading email over the phone and i dont think that has anything to do with my problem.

2)I cant afford to have a second exchange server.Can i have these users created in an existing exchange server?But since AD is the central repository for data how will it accept duplicate accounts for the same person.Wont AD create a problem???Do elaborate on your second solution and the implications AD may have.

Is there any documented procedure for this kind of scenario . We have to demonstrate to the customer the above scenario and the solution before proceeding for the actual implementation.

Thanx in advance

regards

Sundara Rajan .R

Try this on a few accounts, and see if you like it. Take about five accounts and dump them into excel. Run a formula so you add VM to the front of their logon id. Then add them into unity via import or do them singularly. Then from AD/exchange hide them from the GAL. Now you have to get rid of the previous account with the person's name, because you need to maintain your "Spell by name Directory"

You have to remeber that this operation basically doubles the size of you mailstore depending on how large of a group you will try this on. If your Exchange isn't setup up right, things could come to a screeching halt.

You might want to also, create a new OU to dump these accounts into.

Yes, you can have the voice mail only mailboxes created on your existing Exchange server(s) and just hide them - it's not a problem from a licensing standpoint. You would create them with an alias such as "lindborg_voicemail" such that they wouldn't duplicate their existing email account. Their voice mails will be left in this box and that mailbox will not be visible to other users from their desktop for addressing purpsoes.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: