Cisco Support Community
Community Member

Unity Voice Mail or Unified messaging

Hey I have a question

I downloaded a demo version of Unity and I am wondering what is the difference between Unity Uniffied messaging and Unity Voice mail and how do I tell which one I am running. My understanding if you intergrate Unity with your exchange domain then you are running unified messaging

Community Member

Re: Unity Voice Mail or Unified messaging

Unified messages is when Unity integrates with MS Exchange (or, in the future, other systems such as Lotus Domino). This allows subscribers (users) to check their voice mail via phone or Outlook. They can also check their email via phone or Outlook. There is a lot more to it than that, but you get the idea... If the Unity server is standalone, then it is not integrating with Exchange. It will then act as pretty much any other voice mail system.

I am currently studying for my Unity exam, so someone else may have more to say. I do have one question. It is my understanding that even the Unity demo is something that cannot be downloaded, but must be purchased (on CDs) for a much reduced rate. If I am wrong, please enlighten me as to what I need to do to get the demo. Thank you.

Cisco Employee

Re: Unity Voice Mail or Unified messaging

the distinction here is actually pretty straight forward: it's a licensing bundle difference.

Both VM only and UM use Exchange 55 or 2K as their mailstore. However UM systems include licenses for VMO (the plug in for Outlook that lets you record voice mail and use your phone as a media device) and TTS seats (allows you to hear email over the phone).

At it's core, that's the only difference. Unity operates in the exact same way for VM and UM installations. For VM deployments we don't support folks hooking up to a preexisting Exchange installation and using standing email accounts but technically there's no reason you can't.

CreatePlease to create content