Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Unity Voice Mail

We are currently in the early stages of an IP Telephony solution. The phone system itself is performing great, now we are turning our attention to a Voice Mail system. We have purchsed the Unity system (VM only). Our network envorinment does not include a true Domain. DNS, DHCP and every other application possible is handled by Linux servers. It is my understanding that the Unity Voice Mail system requires Windows2000 running Exchange and Active Directory. My question is whether or not Active Director is necessary and also what might be some side-effects of introducing Active Directory into our network.

3 REPLIES
Gold

Re: Unity Voice Mail

Unity does require Exchange which inherently requires a domain, which in most circumstances means Active Directory. What we almost always do for VM-only systems is make the box a domain controller for its own domain, with no other members. That way the voicemail system is a self-contained box that doesn't interfere with the rest of your systems and networks, which is exactly what you want in this case. For Unified Messaging you would need to join it to your existing domain, but you don't have UM and you don't have a domain, so this isn't a concern.

Community Member

If the number of users are less than 100 and you have a NM Slot free you could use Cisco Unity Express.

Sizing

12 Mail Boxes

5 General Mail Boxes

AA

100 Hours

4 Ports

SCUE-25-VM-1.0.1

25 Mail Boxes

10 General Mail Boxes

AA

100 Hours

4 Ports

SCUE-50-VM-1.0.1

50 Mail Boxes

15 General Mail Boxes

AA

100 Hours

8 Ports

SCUE-100-VM-1.0.2

100 Mail Boxes

20 General Mail Boxes

AA

100 Hours

8 Ports

But testing is required and I do not know if tac will support the above config with CCM 3.X but it is supported with Cisco Call Manager Express 3.X

roger.....

roger.terhune@bell.ca

Bronze

CUE currently only works with CCME.

Stay tuned for CCM support.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content