cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity voicemail problem

gscanga
Level 1
Level 1

Users can't recieve voicemials from external callers - only internal.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

MikeTomasko
Level 4
Level 4

Sounds like it could be a Calling Search Space issue. Did it ever work or is this a new install?

View solution in original post

Most likely you have the forward to voicemail for busy and no answer checked only for Internal (this is a 4.1 setting). Make sure that both external and internal have the forward to voicemail checked.

It could also be a codec issue but I would need more information. If the PSTN gateway is a H323 gw, I believe G729 is the default codec. It probably should work but if the packetization rate has changed it might not. You would need to create a new inbound dial-peer, to replace the default, and make sure the codec was G711. Use G711 for unity if you can.

Here is a blurb regarding Unity and G729.

G.729 Annex A (G.729A) at 20 ms packetization rate ONLY. Cisco Unity TAPI Service Provider (TSP) 7.0.3 and later supports g.729a from 10 ms up to 60 ms packetization rate.

If you are using MGCP then your codec will be specified by your region.

Please rate any helpful posts

Thanks

Fred

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

MikeTomasko
Level 4
Level 4

Sounds like it could be a Calling Search Space issue. Did it ever work or is this a new install?

No, this is not a new install. Crazy- just as I starteed typing this reply, they all came in. Looks like the issues started as long as 4 days ago.

So where do I begin looking into the search calling space? Is that Unity?

Most likely you have the forward to voicemail for busy and no answer checked only for Internal (this is a 4.1 setting). Make sure that both external and internal have the forward to voicemail checked.

It could also be a codec issue but I would need more information. If the PSTN gateway is a H323 gw, I believe G729 is the default codec. It probably should work but if the packetization rate has changed it might not. You would need to create a new inbound dial-peer, to replace the default, and make sure the codec was G711. Use G711 for unity if you can.

Here is a blurb regarding Unity and G729.

G.729 Annex A (G.729A) at 20 ms packetization rate ONLY. Cisco Unity TAPI Service Provider (TSP) 7.0.3 and later supports g.729a from 10 ms up to 60 ms packetization rate.

If you are using MGCP then your codec will be specified by your region.

Thanks

Fred

Assuming the issue is the forward from the phone to voicemail, then CSS won't have an effect from internal to external calls, if the internal calls are working. This is because external and internal still use the same hunt pilot. If you are saying that an external user is trying to access a Voicemail CTI then go to Unity and access a subscribers greeting, then yes Inbound CSS on the gateway could effect this. Like in my last post check your voicemail forwarding for CFB and CFNA. If you are forwarding your external calls on CFB or CFNA to another extension please let us know this. Post up the exact process on how the users are getting to the subscribers greeting.

Thanks

Fred

Appreciate all of the help Mike and Fred. I would say at this point that thefix was to simply reboot our Exchange server. Back on Monday, I had changed the admin pwd but never rebooted all of the servers. So, this may have all been caused by a permissions issue- not that I can even begin to understand the complexity of it all.

I'm just happy thatm when I rebooted the exchange server yesterday afternoon, the externally generated voicemails all came through since Monday. Not sure if this will help anyone else but I definitely learned a lesson. Thanks again.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: