cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity won't start after running configuration setup

bkost
Level 1
Level 1

I just installed Unity 3.1.3, and ran through the Configuration setup and AvCsMgr won't start. I went through the document Cisco Unity 3.x: AvCsMgr Service Does Not Start After Running Configuration Setup several times, and I tried the Permissions Wizard tool, but it still won't start. One thing that I've found is that I am not able to send mail to the account that is being created when I run the configuration setup, and I'm not able to select it as the account to start the Unity services. It tells me that the account is either not valid or the password is incorrect. Also in the SQL Enterprise Manager the field I deleted the info from according to the document is still blank after running the config setup several times. Any ideas on what I should try next? The computer name of the server we are intsalling on has a hyphen in it, is this ok?

Thanks,

Ben

11 Replies 11

dthompson
Level 1
Level 1

Our company has ran into this problem several times. Are you tring to intergrate UNITY into and exsisting Exchange Organization? If you are, we found this document that has helped us several times.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_tech_note09186a00800949dc.shtml

We are integrating into an existing Exchange Organization. I have worked through that same document a couple of times and I'm still having the same problem. One of the steps in the document is to send an email to the account to populate the security descriptor, but I'm not able to send mail to the account. I'm going to try it again just in case I missed something.

oliviers
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If the directory ID field is still missing from the Unity_ account in SQL, then run \Commserver\ConfigurationSetup\Setup.exe -sync and then post the latest SQL sync log file. The latest file is easy to find by going to the \CommServer\Logs directory and typing

dir *sql*

The last file there is the one we'd be interested in.

As far as selecting the Unity_ account to run the AvCsMgr, AvCsGateway, AvUMRSyncSvr and AvGaen, try placing the domain name in front (i.e. \Unity_).

A non-DNS allowed character in the server name will cause problems (like a _), but a hyphen should be fine.

I rebooted and ran the config setup again and checked the directory ID field and it is filled in now. I tried placing the domain name in front of the account to run the services, and it still tells me the account is invalid or password incorrect. I reset the password and got same error. Would you still like to see the SQL sync log?

If that field is present, there's no need to check the SQL sync log. If for whatever reason, the services can't be run as the Unity_ account, you could try creating another Domain account to run the services (it doesn't have to be the Unity_ account).

Let me know if you are interested in trying another account to get around the SCM password problem. Is the Unity server a DC?

The server is a DC

What do I need to do to create a different account to try starting the services?

Just create another account, and it does not need a mail box. Add this account to the Exchange Domain Servers group and the Administrators group. Don't add it to any other groups (it'll be in the Domain Users group, too...that's fine).

On the Unity server, go to the Domain Controller security policy and enable this newly created account to have "log on as a service" and "act as the operating system" rights.

Set this account to run the AvCsMgr, AvCsGateway, AvGaen and AvUmrSyncSvr servcices.

I created the account and setup the group membership and security rights, assigned the account to the services mentioned, rebooted the server and the AvCsMgr service still didn't start. The errors in the event log start with source MALEx_MC event id 30002 then go to Doh_MC 32013, AvArbiter_MC 1004, and AvCsServices_MC 1025. I can give more detail on these if it would help.

Is there a Unity_ account and mailbox? We'll still need them even though the services aren't using that account.

I did forgot to tell you to delete the MAPI profile (Unity will create it on a restart). The easiest thing to do is search the Regsitry for "Unity System Profile". You'll find an entry in the MAlEx registry hive. Keep that one. Delete all others.

If this is done, there is an Exchange box and AD account for the Unity_, we'll have to look at some other things.

I was able to get the Unity services to start. There was a replication problem between the server and the GC server for the domain. I fixed that, ran the config setup again, and I can now start Unity. However, once it starts I get a blue screen and the server reboots. I set backup and virus scanning services to manual and reboot. Unity starts and the server stays up, but the Unity services are taking up nearly all the CPU resources. Its not just one service that takes over, they seem to jump around with each one taking up the most at some point. I don't want to try starting the services I have set to manual until I can get the CPU under control.

I'd suggest opening a TAC case.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: