cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unknown Problems

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

I know there are dozens of post regarding the Viewmail problem of trying to playback a message via Outlook/Phone. I get the message Unknown problems are preventing completion of this call. Here is what I have done so far<br><br>Performed an extended ping from the client to the Unity. Sucessful<br><br>Used the admin page at the server to record and playback greetings via the same phone number. Sucessful.<br><br>I saw the DCOM is used at the client side, possible that could be the problem. Anyway to verify that DCOM is loaded correctly? <br><br><br>

12 Replies 12

Not applicable

First, you need to be real specific about the error message. There are three different error messages for TRAP connectivity that include "unknown problems" text. I'm assuming the one you're getting is a problem connecting to the server and not a problem dialing the extension. This is real important since depending on the exact text of the message it means very different problems are at play.

Also, always include version information even if you don't think it should matter... it does.

Unless you're running Windows 95, you have DCOM loaded. If this is a Win95 client you'll need to download the DCOM patch from Microsoft... I'm guessing that's not the case. This could be related to the TRAP connection holder sticking around in memory. When you say you can do this via the SA, do you mean on the same client machine? And then you go to Outlook at you can't do the same thing from Outlook? That would be a little odd since it's the same TRAP connection logic being used by both apps...

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Product Architect/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Not applicable

Sorry about that.

Unity 2.4.6.135. Win95 client. In regards to the SA I mean that I can go to the SA page at the server and am able to dial extensions that way. Just wanted to verify that the ports are able to dial extensions.

Not applicable

Ah, so it is a windows 95 client... Ok, it could be the DCOM thing. Head to Microsoft's site and download the DCOM files for Win95 here:

http://www.microsoft.com/Com/DCOM/DCOM95/DCOM1_3.asp

and see if that clears your problem.

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com

Not applicable

They did install DCOM from the microsoft website and are still getting the same error.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Randy Pierce, MCSE, MCP+Internet, MCP
Cisco Systems, Inc.

Not applicable

We did extensive testing and found that both ViewMail for Outlook and ActiveAssitant need to be checked in the Licensed Features in the COS in the SA in order for VMO to work.

We tested on Win95 clients only with and without DCOM installed. (DCOM seemed not to need to be installed for VMO to work; It probably was and the site didn't know that it was. If they were at a later release of win95, it is possible that DCOM was installed by default. Also if it was installed it would still fail if AA was not checked in the SA)

Randy Pierce, MCSE, MCP+Internet, MCP
Cisco Systems, Inc.

Not applicable

Hmmm... that's odd.

DCOM definitely has to be on there... yes, later builds of 95 did have DCOM in there, perhaps that was the case here.

The TRAP connection failing should put up a dialog specific to the COS check failing. That's annoying that it falls through to the general failure message (there is a specific message for this defined, I don't know why it wouldn't be triggering). Randy, can you write a bug up on this? Besides the message not being correct, VMO shouldn't require AA access and vice versa for the media master to allow TRAP connectivity.

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com

Not applicable

Is there a license cost for VMO on the server or Outlook ??, I know the client comes witht he Unity disk 1

Not applicable

The cost for VMO licenses is included in the per-seat cost for a Unified Messaging system. If you compare the per seat cost for a Voice Mail only system, you will see a difference.

Jami Stewart
Cisco Systems

Not applicable

Also the error code says unknown problems are preventing connection to the server

Not applicable

I just had the customer download DCOM95 version 1.3 from Microsoft. Same problems. Thanks in advance

Not applicable

Well... your suspect list is real, real short with that error message. It means what it says... the client is not able to establish a conneciton to the Unity server using DCOM. End of story. If you've checked name resolution to the Unity server or you're using IP addresses and they ping back ok from your client, it's gotta be something with the DCOM configuration on the client machine. There aren't any other issues I can think of. Presumably more up to date client boxes are not having this problem? Or is everyone still running Win95?

Jeff Lindborg
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com

Not applicable

OK, I would agree, is there something that we can look at via DCOM. The entire site is nothing but Win95 clients and this is a new install. Right now there are only 2 clients enabled for the unified messaging and both having the same problem. Incidently, we just rebooted Unity as a test and still having the same problem.