Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Unresolved References

I ran the unresolved references system report in Unity, and came up with some unexpected results. If I look closely, besides the two call handlers for subscribers that have an unresolved reference problem (I'll run SysCheck to fix these two), the rest are "built-in" public distribution lists. When I display a list of DL's, I see two "All Subscribers" entries (both of them are owned by the Example Administrator subscriber), two "System Event Messages", two "Unadressed Faxes", and two "Unaddressed Messages". My concern is if I run SysCheck for the two call handlers that truly have unresolved references, what trouble will I make for myself with these other call handlers? Is there something I should do to correct these duplicate DL's (i.e. delete one from Unity's saweb page, run SysCheck, run some other utility, ignore them the system will work fine, etc).<br><br>Thanks,<br>Dan.<br><br><br>

3 REPLIES
Anonymous
N/A

Re: Unresolved References

If you ignore them Unity will run fine... I'd use dbWalker rather than the unresolved references report or the syscheck utilities since it's more complete and up to date (the syscheck in 3.1x no longer kicks out such info).

If you really want to make sure you get rid of the right ones, go into the Sa, list out the DLs (it should only show 1 of each... the duplicates are likely from an uninstall where you didn't remove these DLs before doing another install). Change the display name to something recognizable to you (i.e. add something to the end of it) and then go into Exchange admin and delete the other DLs (i.e. the ones without the updated display name). This should get rid of your dupes without breaking anything that's not already broken.

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Technical Lead/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

I first ran dbWalker without asking it to delete unresolved references. Of course dbWalker found the two orphaned subscriber call handlers that were missing their associated Exchange mailboxes. I re-ran dbWalker, which was able to delete these orphaned call handlers.

Interestingly though, dbWalker made no mention regarding duplicates for the four system public distribution lists All Subscribers, System Event Messages, Unaddressed Faxes, and Unaddressed Messages? If I understood you correctly, I should be able to isolate those PDL's that are valid by selecing and renaming them in saweb, and matching the mailbox (distribution list) name in Exchange admin. Sure enough, I was able to select/rename the All Subscribers, and System Event Messages PDL's in Unity, and see their matching distribution list entries in Exchange admin renamed. As it turns out, I can only select one of the two duplicated PDL's in saweb (i.e. for System Event Messages, I can select/rename only the first entry, but cannot ever select the second, same with All Subscribers).

Regarding Unaddressed Faxes and Unaddressed Messages, although there are duplicates for these two PDL's, the duplicates have a slightly different name (UNITY is appended to the end, surrounded in parenthesis and preceeded by a space), which allows me to select all four PDL's individually in saweb. Upon closer examination of each of these four PDL's, only two contain the Example Administrator subscriber as a member of the list (the two with the (UNITY) suffix, the other two PDL's do not.

I therefore believe I can now safely remove all four duplicate (redundant) call handlers. First, I'll delete the non-renamed distribution lists in Exchange admin, then re-run dbWalker to find/remove the new orphans (if any are created). For the Unaddressed Faxes/Messages PDL's, I believe I should delete those that do not have the Example Administrator listed in the membership in saweb, then find/delete their corresponding distribution lists in Exchange admin. This time, I do not believe there should be any need to re-run dbWalker.

Before I make a bigger mess of things, did I understand your instructions correctly and is it safe to proceed?

Thanks,
Dan.

Anonymous
N/A

actually, you can probably wax the unaddressed faxes DLs entirely... you aren't using them unless you've upgraded from a system that had Active Fax installed on it (we don't support new installs of Active Fax on versions later than 2.4.5). The unaddressed messages DL, however, is used and is important so you want to be careful.

dbWalker wont not the duplicate DLs since, technically, they aren't a problem and they don't show up as anything other than just some other public distribution lists.

I suspect you're correct about the UnaddressedMessages DL tha thas the example administrator as a member is the "live one" but the only way to be sure is to check the registry to see the alias of the DL we're forwarding "bounced" messages to. Go to:

HKLM\Software\Active Voice\System Parameters\1.0

The key name here is "Unaddressed Messages Distribution List" and it should have the full alias of the DL... pull this from Exchange, it'll be "unaddressedmessagesxxxx" where xxxx is the hex version of the SYSTEM_ID value (the SYSTEM_ID is a unique number generated by the Unity setup to identify that install in the directory).

Jeff Lindborg
Unity Technical Lead/Answer Monkey
Cisco Systems
lindborg@cisco.com
http://www.AnswerMonkey.net (new page for Unity support tools and scripts)

Views
Helpful
Replies