Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Upgrade 3.1 VM to 4.0 UM

I have a 3.1.1 system (UM license, used as VM with on-box Exchange) that I want to upgrade/convert/migrate to 4.0 AND install with an existing off-box Exchange 2000 environment to have UM. About the only thing that might help is that the usernames are the same between the existing VM system and the future AD environment (a different AD domain). Is there anything that might ease the pain with this.

I can have the users re-enroll (new greetings, lose old messages, etc), but is there ANYTHING that I can carryover (old messages would be nice) to upset them a little less?

I am planning to install the 4.0 Unity on a different server than the current 3.1VM (but I could do it on the 3.1 server if that would be better). I'm thinking that I could have both up for a brief overlap. Call Mgr 3.3 is the phone side.

2 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Upgrade 3.1 VM to 4.0 UM

When you say the names are the same in the new domain where you want to install as UM do you mean the mail aliases are the same as well? If so this is actually pretty easy - if not, it's just an extra step involved.

The easiest way to do this is to do a DiRT backup of your 3.1 system, install the same version of 3.1 in your new UM environement and do a DiRT restore. If the mail aliases in the two environments are the same then you're good to go - it'll bind to the existing accounts, restore greetings, voice names, passwords and messages if you included those in the backup. If the mail aliases don't match you'll have to use the Migrate Subscriber tool to move the subscriber data off the new accounts created by the DiRT restore onto the proper accounts - you don't lose any info but this just adds another tedious step to the process.

After you restore the DiRT backup you can then upgrade to 4.0(1) - if you need to use the migrate subsdriber data tool here (i.e. the aliases don't match) then it'd actually be better to upgarde to 4.0 right after the restore and THEN use the migrate subscriber data - more functionality in 4.0.

The latest versions of DiRT and Migrate Subscriber Data can be found on http://www.ciscounitytools.com

Re: Upgrade 3.1 VM to 4.0 UM

Can someone give me an Idea of what it cost to upgrade from 3.1 to 4.0..I cant seem to find it on any price list or the configurator tool. Thanks

Views
Helpful
Replies