cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

upgrade from 2.4.6 to 3.1.4 same server

unity123
Level 1
Level 1

Are there any wellknown issues in upgrade from 2.4.6 to 3.1.4 same server voice messaging only ony the same server.

7 Replies 7

lindborg
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The upgrade from 2.x to 3.x is a migration, not really an upgrade. Here's the installation guide chapter dedicated to the process of migrating from 2.x to 3.1x:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/voice/c_unity/unity31/inst/inst31/inst_030.htm

Short story is you get an export of your Unity data, rebuild your system, install Unity 3.1.4 and import the data. The export/import tools used for this migration process have been beat pretty hard over the last year or so, they're in reasonably solid shape at this point.

Do mean rebuild means right from scratch. What will happen to exchange messages then.

Please review the installation guide I sent you... you don't need to rebuild the Exchange server itself unless you want to... if you want to rebuild the Exchange server as well you'll need to back up your message store- you can use any Exchange aware tape backup package or ExMerge (an MS provided tool) for getting your messages out first. It's not necessary to do that, however. It's only necessary to uninstall Unity 2.x and install a clean version of 3.x.

I read that what if unity 2.4.6 is installed on NT4 is this migration turns to be hard.

Yes, you're going to have to get your message off there or move the Exchange server off box (i.e. install a 2nd Exchange box and move the mailboxes over). The easiest way to snag your messages is using ExMerge. Will and Todd wrote up a doc on how to do this type of migration for 2.4.6 that covers the use of ExMerge, you might want to check it out:

http://www.answermonkey.net/General_tools.htm

It's under the "migrating Unity" link.

What would be the best way if unity 2.4.6 is on windows nt4 to upgrade it to windows 2000 or rebuild it from scratch taking all the backups.

I would rebuild it. Upgrading from NT to 2K is dicey at best.